Medical student Ory Streeter named as next Honor Committee chair

Incoming committee selects chair, vice chairs at annual retreat

<p>Ory Streeter, a Medicine student and Honor Committee chair, said specific decisions regarding the selection process reform have not been made yet and will appear concretely in fall 2018.</p>

Ory Streeter, a Medicine student and Honor Committee chair, said specific decisions regarding the selection process reform have not been made yet and will appear concretely in fall 2018.

The University Honor Committee named Medical student Ory Streeter as the chair of its executive committee for the upcoming term following a closed session of incoming members during the Committee’s annual retreat this weekend.

Streeter is currently a Committee representative for the School of Medicine and will be succeeding fourth-year College student Devin Rossin as chair. The Committee’s current term comes to an end April 1. 

In an interview with The Cavalier Daily, Streeter said during the transition process between committees the executive board would establish collective goals in order to work towards improving the processes and outreach of the Honor system during the upcoming term. 

“We are going to be synthesizing our energies over the next couple weeks as we prepare for the formal transition,” Streeter said. “We are committed to improving the processes of the organization that we all serve and better outreach to the student body.”

In addition to Streeter, second-year College student Derrick Wang was selected as vice chair for community relations. Third-year Engineering student Peyton Sandroni was selected as vice chair for investigations, third-year Engineering student Julia Batts was selected as vice chair for education and third-year College student Ankita Satpathy was selected as vice chair for hearings. All executive committee members, with the exception of Streeter, served in the support officer pool prior to being elected to the executive committee. 

The members of the newly selected executive committee told The Cavalier Daily they look forward to building on the work of the outgoing committee, specifically within the realm of outreach. 

“I think we’re really looking at building on the great work that the previous committee has done with respect to outreach and especially community relations,” Wang said. 

Batts said she wishes to continue the work of Lucie Oken, a fourth-year Batten student and current acting vice chair for education , on effectively reaching and communicating with the student body through the usage of social media. 

“I think Lucie’s been doing a fantastic job of making Honor and all of our education and outreach efforts be much more visible through our use of social media,” Batts said, adding that she would continue to “get Honor’s policies and ideals out there and establish conversations with students so that we better learn how we can serve them.”

Satpathy said she hopes to work with other committee members to continue the outgoing committee’s work in more effectively reaching students in the system affected by mental health issues. 

“I think last year’s Committee did a great job with the beginning to think about how we might 

reform our contributory mental disorder process,” Satpathy said. “I’d certainly like to see our Committee pick up where they left off and start thinking about some of the ways we can make that process more fair to students and better consider the mental health of students in our process.”

Sandroni said another primary focus of the incoming committee would be working to smoothly implement a reform to the Informed Retraction process that the current committee passed in February. Informed Retractions allow students who are reported to the Committee for an Honor violation to admit their offense and serve a two-semester leave of absence from the University after being reported by another member of the University community. The reform will permit students to combine multiple singular offenses under a single IR as long as they are reported with specificity, even if the offenses are unrelated or occurred in different contexts.

“I think one of the main changes is going to be the [Informed Retraction] reform that recent committee just passed, and I think we’re going to have long discussions about exactly how we plan to implement it and what that means for the system in the upcoming year,” Sandroni said. 

Streeter said he is looking forward to the upcoming term and spoke highly of the incoming executive committee members. 

“I’m excited for a wonderful year,” Streeter said. “We have a fantastic executive board who are astoundingly qualified, compassionate leaders and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with them in the service of the University.”