Baseball wins two-of-three against Virginia Tech

Comer’s walk-off single Sunday clinches series

<p>Senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey pitched a three-hit, complete-game shutout as the Cavaliers won 9-0 in the first game of Friday's doubleheader.</p>

Senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey pitched a three-hit, complete-game shutout as the Cavaliers won 9-0 in the first game of Friday's doubleheader.

The Virginia baseball team won two out of three games over the weekend at home against Virginia Tech.

The Cavaliers (18-14, 6-9 ACC) won the final game of the series on Sunday on a walkoff single in the ninth inning by junior catcher Cameron Comer. Comer went 4-for-4 Sunday, reaching base five times. 

The series began with a doubleheader Friday after the game originally scheduled for Saturday was moved due to inclement weather forecasts.

In the first game of the doubleheader, senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey pitched a three-hit, complete-game shutout as the Cavaliers won 9-0. This was the first complete game by a Virginia pitcher this season, and Casey’s first of his career. 

Junior second baseman Andy Weber went 3-for-5 in the first game Friday, with three runs batted in. Freshman shortstop Tanner Morris also went 3-for-5 in that game, scoring a career-high four runs.

Friday’s victory was Virginia baseball’s 100th over Virginia Tech, dating back to 1900.

Virginia Tech (13-17, 6-9 ACC) won the second game on Friday by a score of 5-4 after a suicide squeeze in the top of the ninth inning. Junior second baseman Jack Owens drove in junior shortstop Nick Owens for the game-winning run for the Hokies.

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch pitched into the seventh inning for the fifth straight start, giving up only three runs and striking out 10 batters.

Virginia won 6-5 on Sunday after Comer’s walkoff single, driving in freshman designated hitter Brendan Rivoli. Rivoli had earlier tied the game with an RBI triple.

On Sunday, Morris again had three hits, including a two-run single in the eighth inning, scoring Comer and junior first baseman Jack Weiller, to cut the deficit to one run.

The Cavaliers next play at home Wednesday at 6 p.m. against Radford at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.