Activists arrested, released after Friday night protest

The individuals were protesting the conviction of a counterprotester at last year’s Unite the Right rally

<p>Several activists were arrested in downtown Charlottesville Friday evening.&nbsp;</p>

Several activists were arrested in downtown Charlottesville Friday evening. 

The Charlottesville Police Department arrested at least seven individuals Friday night while a group of 20 to 30 activists marched through Downtown Charlottesville in protest of the conviction of Corey Long — a counterprotester at the Unite the Right rally last August who used an aerosol can as a makeshift flamethrower towards white nationalists shouting racial slurs at him.

Long was found guilty of disorderly conduct and sentenced Friday to 100 hours of community and 360 days in prison — though 340 days were suspended and Long will only serve 20. The individuals arrested Friday were released by 1 a.m. Saturday.

While holding banners and signs condemning racism and white supremacy, the protesters Friday night shouted, “Corey Long did nothing wrong.” Friday afternoon, activists also gathered outside of Charlottesville District Court awaiting the outcome of Long’s trial.

According to a statement by CPD, the protesters veered of the sidewalk and crowded the streets during their march in downtown Charlottesville and were asked to get out of the roadway by CPD officers. When some resisted, they were taken into police custody. 

One of the individuals arrested was Star Peterson, who is in a wheelchair due to severe injuries she sustained from the car driven into a crowd at the white nationalist Unite the Right rally on Aug. 12 of last year, which resulted in the death of 32-year-old Charlottesville resident Heather Heyer. Star was transported to the jail in an ambulance.

Local activist and attorney Jeff Fogel attempted to enter the magistrate’s office in an effort to represent the arrested protesters. Fogel was not permitted to enter the building.