Surabhi Bhatt, Adnin Zaman and Faiza Arif

Week in review

For the first time in the United States, surgeons replaced a man's cancerous windpipe with a synthetic one covered with stem cells from his bone marrow. The Environmental Protection Agency has released an online map displaying the nation's major greenhouse gas emitters. Experts discovered a new species of shrimp which inhabit the deepest volcanic ocean vents and may have heat vision. Scientists have found that the climactic phenomenon La Ni

Week in review

A study found that wildfires and oxygen-poor environments helped destroy 90 percent of life on Earth in less than 200,000 years. Researchers have found that risk factors of stroke can also signal cognitive impairment. NASA sent Curiosity, the world's biggest extraterrestrial explorer, on an eight-and-a-half-month journey to Mars Saturday in hopes of discovering evidence that the planet might have once been home to microscopic life. A hacker released a second round of emails between climate scientists which portrayed them in a negative light last Tuesday, ahead of this week's gathering of United Nations negotiators in South Africa for the purpose of discussing a global climate pact. -compiled by Surabhi Bhatt, Adnin Zaman and Faiza Arif

This Week in Science

Doctors from the Royal College of Psychiatrists warned that the current generation of university students has a greater risk of anxiety and depression compared to previous generations. Nationwide metallic hips are failing at a fast rate, causing patients to seek replacements. King crabs, not native to Antarctica because water temperatures are generally too cold, have started invading the peninsula as a result of a rise in temperature. SpaceX, a U.S.

This Week in Science

The Turanor PlanetSolar, the first 100 percent solar-powered vessel, will attempt to circumnavigate the world from Singapore and is scheduled to arrive back in Monaco next May. Researchers have recently been able to measure the existence of the evanescent magnesium atom with great precision. DNA left on deer remains could be used in the future to identify deer poachers. NASA has unveiled a plan to study the moon from crust to core. -compiled by Surabhi Bhatt, Adnin Zaman and Faiza Arif

More articles »