Duke football snags academic accolade

The Duke football team's academic reputation continues to impress. The Touchdown Club of Memphis will reward the Blue Devils with the 1999 American Football Coaches Associations Academic Achievement Award due to their scholastic exellence.

Duke's squad graduated 100 percent of the 1993-94 freshmen football class when all 12 athletes earned a degree.

This year's honor marks the 10th time that Duke has either won or shared the award. It is the sixth time in seven years that the Blue Devils have won the honor.

Twenty-five other football teams earned honorable mention status for graduating 70 percent or more of their athletes. The ACC's represenatives were Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson and Wake Forest. The overall graduation rate of the 94-partcipating institutions was 56 percent.

Saathoof's to you: Cavalier women's rower Andrea Saathoff earned a first-team All-America selection from the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association.

Saathoof was a member of Virginia's first varsity-eight boat that finished second at the 1999 NCAA Championships. In February, she finished seventh at the World Indoor Rowing Championships.

Diamond dandies: Three ACC baseball teams concluded the season ranked in postseason polls.

Baseball America placed Florida State at No. 2, Wake Forest at No. 11 and Clemson at No. 16. The Seminoles lost to Miami in the College World Series final game, 6-5.

Hingis loses at Wimbeldon: The world's No. 1 women's tennis player Martina Hingis lost her first round match to Australian qualifier Jelena Dokic at the Wimbledon Championships.

Dokic, who had to win three matches just to earn a slot in the tournament, ousted Hingis 6-2, 6-0. It was only the third time in Wimbledon's history that the top-seeded woman lost in her first match. In 1962, Margaret Smith fell to Billie Jean Moffitt who later became Billie Jean King and in 1994, Steffi Graf lost to Lori McNeil.

Better late than never: Hack Wilson's record of 190 RBIs increased by one run 51 years after his death.

The Major League Baseball commissioner's office officially increased the total to 191. Jerome Holtzman, a retired Chicago Tribune reporter, reviewed every game of Wilson's record-setting season for the Chicago Cubs in 1930. After examining box scores and first-hand play-by-play accounts Holtzman determined that Wilson actually drove in 191 runs.

--compiled from staff and wire reports