Jefferson Society announces fall speakers; guests include Withrow

The Jefferson Literary and Debating Society has announced a tentative list of speakers scheduled to visit the University in the fall-including sports writer Rick Reilley and Rector John P. Ackerly III.

In the past, the Society has secured a number of prominent and intelligent figures ranging from Edgar Allen Poe to Virginia Governor James S. Gilmore III (R).

Fourth-year College student Jonathan Carr, Jefferson Society vice president, said that due to unprecedented interest from would-be speakers, there is not enough room in the schedule to accommodate them all.

As a result, the program committee has already begun to schedule spring speakers, almost 10 months ahead of time.

Carr said he anticipates a schedule of spring speakers by September.

Of the roughly 300 candidates contacted, the committee usually receives 50 responses, he said.

The committee has received positive responses from a collection of highly influential figures including Florida Governor Jeb Bush, Secretary of State Madeline Albright, Secretary of Defense William Cohen, presidential candidate Bill Bradley and William F. Buckley, Jr. of National Review.

Among those scheduled to speak this fall are the Honorable United States Treasurer Mary Ellen Withrow, Rick Reilly, senior writer for Sports Illustrated and Pete Gillen, head coach of the University's men's basketball team.

The committee researches potential speakers, contacts them through telephone or missive, and arranges the specific plans surrounding their appearance at the University.

While name recognition is important, Carr and Society President Brooke Brower said they are reluctant to book names that carry only a shock-factor appeal.

The Jefferson Society is dedicated to "intellectual conversation in a social setting," Society Treasurer Jamey Thompson said.

Carr said speakers are chosen for what they specifically can offer the University community.

For this reason, members of the University community are welcome.

The Jefferson Society does not compensate speakers, except for travel expenses, the cost of a hotel room and dinner.

Occasionally candidates seek an honorarium; this year at least two candidates, including weatherman Al Roker, requested $15,000 in return for their appearance.

However most candidates are content to speak without the promise of payment, Carr said.

"It says something about The Jefferson Society the we can get them here ... without paying them a dime," he said.