Film treats audience to romantic "trick"

Whoever decided to cast Tori Spelling as a lousy actress was either incredibly inspired or really lazy. Or perhaps a little of both.

With "trick," first-time director/producer Jim Fall doesn't aim too high as he explores the Greenwich Village homosexual subculture. But the rewards are simple and sweet.

"trick" succeeds not simply because it features gay characters. Rather, the film works because Fall molds an engrossing love story that transcends sexual orientation.

After getting shunned by a producer at an audition, aspiring musical comedy composer Gabe (Christian Campbell) travels to a gay bar hoping to boost his spirits.

While his sojourn to the bar fails, all is not lost. Gabe picks up go-go boy Mark (newcomer and coverboy in the making John Paul Pitoc) on the subway and the two decide to engage in a "trick" - or one night stand. At least, that's what they think will happen.

Until this point, Jason Schafer's script threatens to associate gay men with promiscuity. But he shifts gears as Gabe and Mark find their efforts to have sex hindered by a series of obstacles, some more amusing than others.

For instance, at Gabe's apartment, the two find aspiring actress Katherine (Spelling) stunting their evening by printing out 150 copies of her resume on Gabe's dot-matrix printer. To prolong their encounter even further, she implores Gabe to perform his newly written song.

"Enter You" is a knowingly campy homage to the contrivances of musical theater, but more importantly, it offers a glimpse into Gabe's psyche. The song perfectly embodies the emotions Gabe feels, providing his character with a history and subtext all at once. Fall and Schafer treat their subject matter with an equal amount of knowing respect and comedic prowess.

This scene serves a second vital purpose as the audience gets to watch Mark warm to Gabe. Obviously attracted to his talent, this is the first clue that there may be more than just physical attraction between them. Pitoc handles the subtlety of such a scene well for his first time in front of the camera.

When Gabe's heterosexual roommate kicks the couple out of the apartment, the two continue to look for a place to be alone. As various obstacles continue to hinder their plan, Gabe and Mark get to know each other by observing their interactions with friends, lovers and strangers. The supporting characters reflect Gabe's conscience as this will-they-or-won't-they plot builds to a climax.

The showstopper in this series is Clinton Leupp, brilliantly masquerading in his drag persona of Miss Coco Peru. A mess of contempt, bitterness, heartbreak and desire, Coco's cliché-free demeanor represents everything that is potentially dangerous about what Gabe and Mark hope to do, and also suggests the real reason why they have not already succeeded in doing so.

Meanwhile, back to Ms. Spelling. Much to the chagrin of many cynics, her performance really isn't so bad after all. Katherine is essentially a clever in-joke, meant to poke fun at the personalities of so many struggling stage actors.

Spelling affects an irritating, although humorous combination of self-importance and loyalty to others to show that while Gabe and Mark already have claimed an identity for themselves, Katherine has yet to come to terms with who she is.

A final major character is New York City itself. Cinematographer Terry Stacey's handiwork makes "trick" a real treat, adding a comfortable atmosphere to the New York nightlife. This is what lends the carefully crafted final sequence a sense of tender triumph.

In the end, "trick" really isn't about libidos at all. It achieves what too few movies have been able to recently - true romance. Fall and Schafer show that you don't need to be gay to understand that - you just need a heart.