IFC, Rue discuss rush dates

Members of the Inter-Fraternity Council Executive Board met Friday with Dean of Students Penny Rue to discuss several issues now facing the fraternity system, including the effects of deferred rush on fraternity houses.

IFC President Wes Kaupinen said he asked Rue whether rush dates were negotiable and how administrators would address the financial damages incurred by fraternities because of spring rush.

Rue said she plans to evaluate the effects of spring rush on the fraternity system and the University community for several years before drawing a conclusion about rush dates.

"There was a broad consensus among the University community to move rush, and it will take several years to determine whether [the move] is doing what the institution intended it to," she said.

But Kaupinen said while the benefits of deferred rush remain to be seen, the benefits of fraternity membership are far-reaching.

"There is concrete evidence that fraternity members and the structure and ideals of the fraternity system have repeatedly led to achievement at the University," he said. "However, we have yet to see any concrete evidence of any positive results from the deferred rush."

He added that rush dates are negotiated annually and that Rue should consider returning rush to fall.

"I think every monumental decision should be reconsidered on a periodic basis," Kaupinen said.

He said the fraternity system incurs about $300,000 in revenue loss every year because of deferred rush. With spring rush, houses collect dues from pledge brothers for one semester instead of a year, and fewer brothers are living in fraternity houses because many sign housing agreements before joining fraternities.

But Rue said some of the fraternities' financial hardships might not be related to the rush move.

"We don't really know whether the financial losses are directly related to rush and what [percentage] are longstanding losses," she said.

She added that the Office of the Dean of Students hopes to maintain the financial stability of the system.

"There's no question that we're committed to helping the fraternity system maintain financial health," Rue said. "That's in everyone's interest."

IFC Rush Chairman Tyler Jensen said Rue was open-minded about the IFC's concerns.

"She was very receptive and seems very fair," Jensen said. "I feel she will look into the issue with an open mind."

Former Dean of Students Robert T. Canevari decided in April 1998 to move IFC rush to the spring, despite IFC's requests to keep formal rush in the fall.

Kaupinen said rush was just one of several concerns discussed at the meeting.

The IFC and Rue also discussed plans to re-emphasize scholarship, leadership and service this year.

"This is absolutely a step in the right direction because it brings back an emphasis on the founding principles of the system," said Asst. Dean of Students Aaron Laushway, who was present for part of the meeting.

Informal fraternity rush begins Sept. 21 and ends Oct. 2.