U. Police report fewer alcohol-related arrests

According to University Police statistics on alcohol-related incidents released yesterday, four University students have been arrested for alcohol violations in the last three weeks, but several more have been referred to the University administration for violations of alcohol policy.

University Police Lt. Melissa Fielding said there were two arrests for public drunkenness and two arrests for driving under the influence of alcohol.

"It seemed there were fewer incidents" this year than in previous years, Fielding said.

She said an additional 40 students received warnings from University Police for alcohol violations.

Twenty-eight students were referred to the Office of the Dean of Students due to alcohol infractions, she added.

Fielding said the police do not yet know how many of those incidents stemmed from last weekend's football game, which attracted a record crowd.

"A good portion of [the violations] might be [game-related] ... there's no way of breaking it down," she said.

Assoc. Dean of Students V. Shamim Sisson said she was concerned students are attracting police attention.

Sisson said the number of incidents is "alarmingly high," and the Office of the Dean of Students will continue its efforts to combat excessive and underage drinking by students.

She said her office also is abiding by the University's new parental notification policy.

Sisson said situations are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but the policy "has been enacted in a few cases."

University President John T. Casteen III, in a letter to all parents this summer, stated that the University will contact parents when a student is arrested or when administrators are struck by the pattern and severity of a student's alcohol-related incidents.

Asst. Dean of Students Aaron Laushway said the University faces a problem with excessive drinking.

"When alcohol is being used irresponsibly or illegally there's a problem," Laushway said.