Rain postpones diversity rally on Lawn

Rain put a damper on students' plans for an "October Camp" demonstration yesterday on the Lawn as organizers had to delay the two-day long "celebration of diversity" due to bad weather.

The event is designed to educate the University community about using race as a factor in the University's admissions process and was rescheduled for tomorrow and Thursday, organizer and third-year Education student Jenny Johnson said.

"We were setting up camp at 7 a.m., but the rain just kept coming down," Johnson said.

She said organizers made the decision to change the date of the "October Camp" at about 9:30 a.m. after checking the forecast, which predicted rain throughout the day and thunderstorms at night.

"It just seemed kind of doomed and especially since it seemed like it was going to be better [weather] at the end of the week, it just seemed ridiculous to try to push through such a bad forecast," she added.

Stephanie Taylor, organizer and fourth-year College student, said the decision to delay the demonstration was made partly because of safety concerns.

"We were going to wait it out, we even set up the tents, but we didn't want anyone to catch pneumonia or camp out on the Lawn in a thunderstorm," Taylor said. "This really is an educational event and it's sort of silly to have an educational event when no one wants to come out in the rain."

The demonstration is being organized by Advocates for Diversity in Education, an alliance of student groups that supports the University's current admissions policies. The schedule for speakers, discussions and entertainment will stay the same, ADE members said.

"Of course we were disappointed ... but it's not a big deal to put it off for two days -- it's not the end of the world," Taylor said.

"We anticipate the same turnout," said Deva Woodley, organizer and third-year College student.

Taylor said University Rector John P. Ackerly III's recent statement that the Board is unlikely to eliminate the current admissions system is encouraging news, but it is still important to hold the "October Camp."

"The purpose of the event is to educate and to remind the BOV of student support for affirmative action here and I think we have as clearly stated goals as before," she said.