Student assaulted at Kappa Sigma

A male student was physically assaulted by a non-student during a private party in the Kappa Sigma fraternity house early Sunday morning.

According to University Police, there were two victims, a student and a non-student, and Police said they believe there may also have been a second attacker involved, Police Captain Purcell McCue said.

Both victims decided not to press charges, McCue said.

Police responded to a call and arrived at the scene at about 1:04 a.m.

"We got the call that there was a subject [at the party] with a gun, but when we got there we couldn't find any," McCue said. "We're still looking into it to see if we can find out anything about a weapon."

Police have no indication that a weapon was used in the assault, he said.

The fraternity had rented out the house to a group called Black Enterprises, said Kappa Sigma President Jason Pedigo, who was in the house at the time. Pedigo said none of the fraternity members were involved in the incident.

"We're responsible for the house so we try to keep an eye on things but we don't want to impose on anybody," he said. "It's real unfortunate. Lots of frats rent out houses to groups. Every now and then some bad things happen."

Inter-Fraternity Council President Wes Kaupinen said Kappa Sigma "dealt with the disruption very responsibly, but whenever a fraternity rents out a house they're still responsible for actions that take place on their property."

Sgt. Tom Durrer said one victim was treated for "facial lacerations" and was released. The other refused medical treatment. No arrests were made.

Kaupinen declined to comment about whether the IFC Judiciary Committee would press any charges against the fraternity.