Southwestern sizzles at Divide

Their slogan is "Too Crowded, Too Small, Too Noisy, Too Bad." It doesn't refer to Rugby Road, the Newcomb Dining Hall or even rush hour in D.C. It's the perfect slogan for West Main Street's Continental Divide.

A restaurant that boasts authentic southwestern food with atmosphere and service to match, Continental Divide draws in the crowds, remaining busy seven days a week for dinner.

The neon green sign which glows on the street, beckoning patrons to "Get In Here," is really unnecessary. Those familiar with the restaurant will want to make repeat visits.

Diners walking into the small restaurant across from the Amtrak station and next to the Tea Room Cafe can expect to be greeted quickly by a friendly, down-to-earth host who works swiftly to seat patrons at a table or booth.

The walls are painted a warm yellow, and the lighting is relaxing but sharp. Seven thick, wooden booths take up one side of the restaurant, while an attractive bar fills out the rest of the room. A large blackboard, surrounded by multicolored bulbs and advertising tequila and bar specials, is mounted on the wall.

Although Continental Divide is known more as a restaurant, they do advertise the "best darn Tequila specials" on their menu. Authentic photographs from a Texas museum line the walls, and steer horns above the door bid patrons goodbye as they leave.

The tabletops are mosaics of different southwestern staples -- suns and snakes. The aura of Continental Divide is lively yet sophisticated, making it a no-fail choice for anything from a date to a night out with friends.

Continental Divide's most popular appetizer, and rightfully so, is the Red Hot Blues -- a heaping plate of blue corn chips powdered with chili pepper and loaded with Continental's jack cheese, chives and red onions. This appetizer leaves spice lovers satisfied, (and probably reaching for water.) As if the toppings were not enough, it comes with the most sumptuous salsa imaginable -- fresh cut tomatoes with green onion and spices -- all ingredients that make the salsa thick and give it bite.

A true test of the service, our wonderful waitress never left me fanning my mouth for want of water as my unaccustomed taste buds struggled between the delicious taste and the spice.

Continental Divide's most famed entree is the Sante Fe Enchilada. This could not be a more perfect dish -- it comes out in a beautiful display of cheeses and sauce crisscrossing to form a design more fitting as a work of art than an enchilada. However, after one bite, diners realize the presentation does not overstate the quality of the meal.

The veggie fajitas also are delightful. They came out of the kitchen with an enormous serving of fresh-cut vegetables -- squash, red and yellow peppers and onions. The dish was equal or superior to any veggie fajitas I've had in the southwest. A black bean salsa also came with the fajitas, along with an interesting but delicious guacamole. It seemed to have a hint of mint and cucumber in it, making it a refreshing and complimentary relish.

Prices range from about $3.25 to $6 for an appetizer and $6.95 to $12.95 for an entree. The menu has few entrees, but the focus on southwest cooking lets the small restaurant make each dish a masterpiece of display and taste.

Although the crowd at Continental Divide tilts more toward Charlottesville residents, the restaurant sees a mix of both students and townies.

And even though it is located past the Corner, Continental Divide is an easy walk, one well worth the extra block or two. The food is unbeatable for southwestern flavor, the atmosphere is welcoming and energizing, and the staff is attentive.

Everything about Continental Divide employs attitudes of the southwest -- laid back and friendly with just enough spice. But the restaurant maintains the gourmet sophistication of the southeast, and this makes for a dynamic combination.