Swimming team sinks Dukes

The Virginia women's swimming and diving team remained unbeaten after Friday's 164-119 win over James Madison at the Aquatic and Fitness Center.

Cara Lane, Mirjana Bosevska and Laura Sullivan each won two events to carry the Cavaliers (3-0) to victory.

The Cavs won 11 of the first 13 events.

Virginia is now ranked No. 10 in the latest Collegiate Swimming Coaches Association of America Poll, the highest rank ever for the women's program.

Clemson bounces volleyball

ACC Player of the Year Cindy Stern registered 26 kills and an astonishing .667 attack percentage, leading Clemson to a three-game sweep (15-13, 15-9, 15-8) of Virginia in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament, held this weekend in Orlando.

Jessica Parsons led the way for the Cavs (11-18) in the losing effort, notching 18 kills. Setter Mary Frances Scott tallied 41 assists.

Earlier in the week, Scott was honored with a selection to the All-ACC first team, while Parsons earned a nod on the second team.

The Cavaliers close out their regular season against American Nov. 27, and then will wait to see whether they receive a berth in this year's NCAA Tournament.

Moses strikes gold

Second-year phenom Ed Moses won three gold medals during last week's two-day FINA World Cup meet, held on the Maryland campus.

Moses won his first two golds Wednesday in the 50- and 200-meter breaststrokes. He scored the hat trick Thursday, with a victory in the 100- meter breast.

Four other Cavs competed in the meet. On the men's side, third-year Jamie Grimes finished third in the 1,500-meter freestyle. Fourth-year Doak Finch competed in the 200-individual medley, but failed to qualify for the finals.

Meanwhile, Cara Lane placed fifth in the 200-meter butterfly for the women, while Mirjana Bosevska took fourth in the 400-individual medley.