Council hears proposition to end SAF fund

Student Council nearly unanimously rejected a proposal that called for the Board of Visitors to abolish the Student Activity Fee at its meeting last night.

College Rep. Justin C. Pfeiffer sponsored the resolution and was its lone supporter.

Pfeiffer said the University's current SAF practices are "unconstitutional and inefficient."

The SAF is a $39 charge included in each student's tuition and fees. The funds then are used for various purposes, including supporting various student organizations.

Pfeiffer said the distribution of student funds to groups with political and religious purposes violates students' constitutional rights to free speech, since such practices fall under the category of "forced speech."

He added that he feels the Council appropriations process also is inefficient.

The process "forces students to support organizations they don't care about," Pfeiffer said.

Students are eligible to receive a $9.75 refund from the SAF if they voice an objection to the activities of certain groups receiving funds.

Council Chief Financial Officer John Finley said he disagreed with Pfeiffer.

Finley said SAF funding is vital to many different student organizations - including Council.

"One of the great flaws in Mr. Pfeiffer's argument is that it is impossible to assert that all organizations can raise enough money to support themselves," he said.

Slightly less than half of all Contracted Independent Organizations currently receive SAF money. The Appropriations Committee allocated $484,334 to 166 CIOs in April.

Questioning the necessity and function of groups that require funding implies that "Student Council, Madison House, the Pep Band, the Glee Club and many other organizations are not effective," Finley said.

College Rep. Matt Madden also said it is important that Council continue to fund student groups.

"The SAF has been vital to maintaining the many student groups we have here at U.Va.," Madden said. "It's important that we continue our commitment to student activities."

Finley said Council does not have the authority to abolish the SAF and the Board must make that decision.

"We don't have that authority," he said. "I think it's a silly resolution."

Council Communications Director Brooke Brower also said he was displeased with the resolution. "This has been the best waste of time all semester," Brower said.