Career week earns Anderson league accolade

Florida State senior forward Damous Anderson and Maryland freshman forward Tahj Holden received recognition from the ACC after notching career bests in victories last week.

Anderson, named ACC Player of the Week, scored 24 points in a Seminole loss at Georgia Tech and a career-high 25 in FSU's upset of then-21st-ranked North Carolina Saturday. Anderson shot an impressive 18 of 27 from the floor and made seven three-pointers in the two games. The victories helped the surprising Seminoles tie for second in the ACC.

Holden, who seemingly came out of nowhere to lead the Terrapins to two ACC wins, was named ACC Rookie of the Week. He scored 17 against Wake Forest and, in his first career start, scored 12, with 10 rebounds and five blocks against Clemson.

NFL star Thomas undergoes surgery

Kansas City Chief Derrick Thomas was in surgery for four-and-a-half hours yesterday to stabilize his spine, two days after breaking his back in an automobile accident that cost the life of one of his best friends.

According to Thomas' doctor, it appears the star linebacker will be paralyzed from the chest down. Thomas and friend Mike Tellis, both not wearing seat belts, were thrown out of the car as Thomas lost control of his vehicle in icy conditions on a highway near Kansas City Sunday. Tellis was killed instantly.

Janikowsi faces deportation charges

Florida State kicker Sebastian Janikowski could be deported if he is convicted of bribing a police officer. The INS deports resident aliens convicted of felonies on a case-by-case basis.

Swimmers stroke to victory in Chapel Hill

The No. 8 women's and No. 10 men's swimming and diving teams each defeated North Carolina Saturday in Chapel Hill.

The women's team squeezed by the 17th-ranked Tar Heels, 158-142, clinching victory with a season-best time in the last event of the meet, the 400 freestyle relay. The Cavaliers improved to 6-0 overall and 4-0 in the Conference this season.

The men's team also defeated the Tar Heels, with a more comfortable 176-124 margin. Fourth-year Doak Finch won three individual events and also contributed to the victory as part of the Cavalier 200 medley relay team. The team now has a record of 5-1, 3-1 in the ACC.