Jefferson's shining legacy not tarnished

THE LAST shreds have been torn away. Some people had clung to minute slivers of hope that the rumors and evidence of Thomas Jefferson's affair with a slave were unfounded or mistaken. But last week, they ran out of ground to stand on.

University biologists released persuasive DNA evidence well over a year ago that supports the infamous rumor that Jefferson fathered an illegitimate child by his slave, Sally Hemings. But a few who idolized Jefferson have refused to believe the charges, suggesting unlikely coincidences or alleging flawed scientific practices on the part of the researchers.

Last week, though, scientists and historians at Monticello announced the results of an independent study that reviewed the evidence against Jefferson. They declared the DNA research to be scientifically sound, and concluded that Jefferson probably fathered at least one - and perhaps more - of Hemings' children.

Hopefully, this will settle the issue for everyone concerned. But those who honor Jefferson's memory need not feel violated now that they are forced to accept this truth about their idol.

This is not to say that there is nothing troubling about Jefferson's actions. It is deeply disturbing that the evidence indicates he had a sexual relationship with someone who not only was under his authority, but also his ownership.

Today, we are rightfully appalled when employers use the small degree of power they have over employees to coerce them into a sexual relationship. A slaveholder had considerably more power over a slave than an employer does over, say, a secretary - or intern.

It's hard to argue that any sexual relationship between a slave and master could be truly consensual - how would the slave even begin to resist, if she wanted to?

Some have contended that Hemings willingly participating in the relationship. But this argument doesn't make sense. It's comparable to arguing that my cat and I have a consensual relationship on the grounds that he's never shown disapproval of how often I feed him or how I treat him, and that he's never clawed me or run away.

People treated as property can't raise objections to how they are treated. If they try, it's unlikely that anyone will listen - especially those who dictate history. As a result, we'll never actually know if Hemings objected to her relationship with Jefferson, or if she voluntarily participated.

But it doesn't really matter. The power dynamic between owner and slave makes it so that true consent isn't possible. It is understood today that a minor can't really consent to have sex, even if she thinks she's a willing participant. Similarly, a declaration of willingness from slave to her owner is not consent.

So yes, the sexual relationship between our University's founding father and the woman he owned is bothersome. We must admit that he used the power he had over another human being to facilitate an intimate relationship.

All the same, this shouldn't tarnish our memory of Jefferson. Instead, it should make us realize what we already know - that Thomas Jefferson was human. He lived in a time when some men owned others, and he followed suit. While his numerous public objections to slavery are worth remembering, they don't exonerate him completely.

But there's a lot to remember about Jefferson besides this scandal. He was a principal organizer of the national and Virginia governments, author of the Declaration of Independence, crusader for personal and religious freedom, reformer of the nation's conception of education, and founder of what we believe is the best public university in the country.

There's no dearth of reasons to be proud to be from Jefferson's University and to be associated with him through our school. But deifying him, as many often do, is naive and unrealistic. We had a great man as the father of this university - not a perfect man. That should be enough.

The virtually incontrovertible proof of Jefferson's relationship with Hemings should merely make our admiration for Jefferson realistic. Honesty about his imperfections is crucial to a realistic appreciation of the man Jefferson was. As a result, we know more about the man who represents our university.

With the final evidence of Jefferson's relationship with Hemings on the table now, let's put the issue to rest, and simply remember Jefferson accurately. Let's remember him proudly for the great man he was, not for the saint we'd like him to have been.

(Bryan Maxwell's column appears Wednesdays in The Cavalier Daily.)