McCain swamps Bush in New Hampshire win

CONCORD, N.H.--New Hampshire voters handed Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) a stunning double-digit point win over Republican favorite Texas Gov. George W. Bush (R) yesterday in the first primary of the 2000 presidential election, giving the underdog McCain campaign a boost with a 49 to 31 percent victory.

"A great national crusade has just begun," McCain said in his victory speech in Nashua.

Republican hopeful Steve Forbes came in third with 13 percent, followed by Alan Keyes with 6 percent and Gary Bauer at 1 percent.

A loss in New Hampshire could have crippled severely, if not ended, McCain's chance to compete with Bush, the national frontrunner. His victory makes it more likely that the battle for the Republican nomination will be a competitive race.

Just before McCain spoke, Bush gave his concession speech at St. Anslem College, congratulating McCain while remaining upbeat.

"Tonight is his night," Bush said. "We all congratulate him."

He then downplayed the defeat, telling the audience that "New Hampshire has been known as a bump in the road, and this year is no exception."

McCain used the event to reiterate his theme of government reform and said the win showed the Republican Party finally was taking up the issue.

He continued his selling point of integrity as well, promising that people "will always hear the truth from me, no matter what."

Bush reaffirmed his commitment to education and assured his supporters of victory in the next primary in South Carolina Feb. 19.

"South Carolina is Bush country," he said.

McCain spent over a year in New Hampshire engaging in face-to-face campaigning. South Carolina may prove a tougher test of McCain's appeal to conservative voters.

In the final days before the New Hampshire primary, McCain supplemented his message of government reform with his personal selling point of integrity. Judging from voting booth exit interviews in and around Concord, many New Hampshire voters seemed to buy his message.

"McCain has honesty and integrity," dentist Ray Modugno said in explaining why he preferred McCain to Bush. "I don't think Bush has the honesty and integrity."

Independent voter Louanne Theriault agreed.

"He just seems very honest," Theriault said.

McCain also benefited from his military background, which voters saw as illustrating his character and giving him perspective for foreign policy.

"We need strength -- he was actually in the service," Republican voter Pat McKerley said.

Vietnam veteran David Hart said he wanted to support a fellow veteran.

Against McCain's background, many McCain voters said Bush was inexperienced.

"I'm not sure [Bush] has a lot of experience," Theriault said.

Bush voters generally commented on his leadership ability, which they say is proven by governing a large state and unifying diverse groups of people around his policies.

"The Governor has run a large and diverse state terrifically," Law student Jim Merril said.

Several Bush supporters admired his parents, former White House occupants.

"I liked his father and mother," Independent Don Riley said.

Some Republican voters said they believe McCain is more liberal than Bush, and that they prefer Bush's tax cut proposals, which are more substantial than McCain's.

"I like his tax cut -- that he's not leaving the surplus money in Washington," Republican plant technician Pam Dow said.

Voters for the other Republican candidates often gave political integrity as a reason for supporting their candidate.

Chris Shays, an auditor who voted for Keyes, said Keyes stands by his positions.

"He seems to stick by his issues -- the others don't give you a direct answer," Shays said.

Republican Karen Hall said she voted for Forbes because she thought he was straightforward as well.

Of course, some people voted more or less on a whim.

"I decided going in the door," said Angie Lillywhite, who voted for Bush.