McGrath captures ACC Wrestler of Week honor

Ryan McGrath earned the ACC Wrestler of the Week Award yesterday, becoming the first Cavalier to reap that honor this season.

McGrath won his last six matches, including back-to-back titles in the 184-pound class at both the Virginia State Wrestling Intercollegiate Championships and the American University Congressional Cup.

McGrath's win streak is a season high and the longest current streak on the team.

Blue Devils' streak ends

After two seasons of dominating ACC men's basketball from top to bottom, No. 3 Duke fell last night to No. 23 Maryland at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 98-87.

• Virginia wrestling
  • ACC Basketball
  • ESPN's Derrick Thomas coverage
  •  

The Blue Devil loss snapped a 31-game Conference winning streak. Duke last lost to an ACC rival Mar. 8, 1998. Coach Mike Krzyzewski's squad also had won 46 straight games at Cameron and 18 straight overall before the Terps victory.

Fans tribute Thomas

Hundreds of Kansas City Chiefs fans traveled to Arrowhead Stadium's parking lot yesterday to pay tribute to deceased All-Pro linebacker Derrick Thomas, who suffered a massive heart attack Tuesday morning.

As part of the events, local radio stations KMBZ and KYYS collected money for Third and Long, a foundation started by Thomas to promote literacy among children.

According to The Associated Press, donations came in so rapidly that workers had to go across the street and open an account in a nearby bank after just three hours.

Thomas will be buried Feb. 20 in Miami. A public ceremony will be held at Kemper Arena next Tuesday.