Baseball slips past VCU in ninth

Ryan Kalamaya's single with two outs in the ninth inning scored Eric Christensen with the winning run as the Cavalier baseball team edged Virginia Commonwealth 8-7 in Richmond.

The Cavs (7-8-1) led 4-0 after three innings, but VCU cut the lead to one in the bottom of the third. Virginia scored one run in the fifth inning, but the Rams (13-5) answered with four runs in the bottom of the frame to take a 7-5 lead.

The Cavs tied the game in the seventh inning when senior shortstop Tim LaVigne singled home a run and scored on a double by fellow captain Luis Giraldo.

Virginia senior Will Parker (3-0), who began the season as a trainer with the team, picked up the win in relief.

NCAA-bound

Led by a quartet of NCAA qualifiers, the Virginia wrestling team took third place in the ACC championships Saturday in College Park.

Senior P.J. Bory, sophomore Ryan McGrath and fifth-year seniors Steve Garland and John Pozniak will compete in the NCAA Tournament March 16-18 in St. Louis. Heavyweight Ryan Painter was chosen as the fourth alternative.

• href="http://www.fansonly.com/schools/va/sports/m-basebl/va-m-basebl-body.html">Virginia Baseball

Official Website

• VCU Baseball
  • Duke Men's Basketball
  • href="Http://www.fansonly.com/schools/unc/sports/m-baskbl/unc-m-baskbl-body.html">North Carolina

Men's Basketball

• href="Http://www.fansonly.com/schools/va/sports/m-wrestl/va-m-wrestl-body.html">Virginia

Wrestling

• Bory won the ACC title at 141 and McGrath took the crown at 184. Garland wrestles at 125 and Pozniak is a 149-pounder.

The Cavaliers finished behind N.C. State and champion North Carolina.

Final weekly honors follow Tobacco Road

In the final week of the regular season, Duke forward Shane Battier and North Carolina shooting guard Joseph Forte earned ACC weekly honors Monday.

Battier was named ACC Player of the Week after averaging 28 points in wins against Clemson and Carolina, including a career-high 30 points against the Tar Heels.

Forte grabbed the Rookie of the Week award for the second straight week and the fourth time this season. Forte led the Heels with 24 points against Duke and 19 points, including the game-winning basket, against Georgia Tech.