Fromal pushes Cav women past Tribe

The Virginia women's lacrosse team has a tough couple weeks ahead of it as it faces off against five top 20 opponents. But last night at the University Hall Turf Field, the Cavaliers were able to forget about the rough stretch ahead of them and enjoy a 15-3 victory over No. 20 William & Mary.

Despite the final score, the Tribe (1-4) started off hot, with senior attacker Amy Pugno scoring a goal in the fifth minute.

"It's a 60-minute game," Virginia coach Julie Myers said. "You never like going down 1-0, but if you dwell on going down 1-0 in the first minute or so, you're going to waste a lot of time."

• Virginia women's lacrosse
  • William and Mary women's lacrosse
  • ACC women's lacrosse
  • The No. 3 Cavs (6-1, 0-1 ACC) did not waste any time responding to William & Mary's opening volley, as senior midfielder Amy Fromal scored in the 11th minute off a Jamie Haas assist.

After that first goal, the Cavaliers were unstoppable for the remainder of the half, scoring seven goals in less than 15 minutes. Fromal registered a hat trick before the break, while junior Mills Hook and senior Laura Lindsay each notched a goal, and Haas and sophomore Gina Sambus scored off penalty corners.

Defensively, the Cavaliers also were able to keep William & Mary from notching its second goal until the 29th minute, when junior attacker Lindsey Lowman scored off a Pugno assist.

"I think everyone pulled together and it was really unselfish play all over the field," Myers said. "There was always support there and we were willing to give the ball up. Defensively, the help was there. We were sliding to stop them and we were slowing the ball down in transition. A total team effort is what won the game for us."

The Cavaliers continued their stellar play in the second half, scoring seven more goals while allowing only one Tribe goal in the 52nd minute. Four different Virginia players scored in the second half, including Fromal, who upped her total to five, and Haas, who finished off a four-goal night.

"We've been talking lately about really getting some movement," Fromal said. "We've executed well. We've been working hard in practice and it showed."

The game had added importance for the Cavaliers, who lost at top-ranked Maryland March 14 and will host No. 7 North Carolina Saturday.

"I think this is a very resilient team and a team that can control its own destiny," Myers said. "I'm excited that we've rebounded" from the 17-8 loss to the Terps.

But before the Cavaliers face the Tar Heels, they want to enjoy this win and use it to give them the momentum necessary for the next few weeks.

"Any time you beat an in-state team, you're pretty fired up about that," Myers said. "Any time that you score 15 goals, we're really excited about that, too. It puts us on the right foot for this weekend. We do have a tough stretch coming up"