University to give USEM professors grants for research

The Office of the President will award new fellowships this fall, granting a semester's sabbatical research leave at full pay to two University Seminar professors.

Vice Provost Barbara Nolan said fellowship recipients will spend the fall semester pursuing active research, which presumably will lead to scholarly publication. They then will teach University seminars related to their research in the spring semester.

USEMs are small classes taught by prominent faculty members and are limited to first-year students. Any professor who has taught at least one USEM between the fall of 1996 and the present is eligible to apply for the award.

The fellowships are named for University alumni Thomas I. Storrs of Charlotte, NC, and Dennis J. Shaughnessy of Baltimore, Md.

Shaughnessy's award will go to a candidate whose research focuses on innovative uses of new technology. Storrs' fellowship is not restricted to a particular discipline.

University President John T. Casteen III, who led the initiative for the awards, said the program is part of a broader effort to bring advanced technology into the classroom.

"These awards are named for two persons who have been advocates of these improvements and who have supported other improvements in undergraduate teaching," Casteen said.

Nolan said the program will provide crucial ties between the classroom and outside research. "We like it when faculty members can connect their research with what they are doing in the classroom," Nolan said.

Storrs, who worked with a similar program as a member of the University of North Carolina-Charlotte Board of Trustees, said it is important for faculty members to remain informed of advances in technology.

"We are forced with the great problem of using scarce resources to educate people with rapidly expanding technology," he said. "It's a matter of faculty members becoming aware of resources out there."

German Literature Prof. William C. McDonald, who now teaches two USEMs, said the awards demonstrate how far the USEM program has come since its 1990 beginning.