Driscoll finishes second to lead golfers to title

The No. 24 Virginia men's golf team won its first team title of the season over the weekend, edging East Tennessee State by two strokes in the Furman Intercollegiate competition in Greenville, S.C.

Virginia senior James Driscoll tied Maryland's Keith Unikel for the tournament lead at seven under par (209) but lost on the first hole of a sudden-death playoff. Driscoll posted rounds of 69-70-71 for the tournament.

Cavalier Steve Marino finished in a tie for fifth place at one over par. Mike Mitchell and Cameron Yancey were two of seven golfers who tied for 32nd, while Justin Goodhue finished in a four-way tie for 43rd.

The Cavs also won the Furman title in 1995.

Baseball snowed out

The Virginia baseball doubleheader scheduled for this afternoon at Penn State has been cancelled because of the inclement weather expected in the State College, Pa., area.

The doubleheader was scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at Penn State's Beaver Field but was scratched yesterday because of expected snow and ice accumulation.

The Cavs next compete in a three-game series at Georgia Tech beginning Friday at 7 p.m.

Golden arm

Cavalier freshman Tim Bilmanis won third place in the men's discus throw at the Duke Relays in Durham Saturday.

Bilmanis' toss of 48.88 meters earned him the top Cavalier finish of the day in the rain-shortened competition.

If a tree leaves the Forest ...

Wake Forest redshirt sophomore Niki Arinze announced Thursday his intention to transfer to another school after this semester.

The 6-foot-5 forward has not yet chosen his next school.

Arinze started as a freshman in 1997-98 and averaged seven points and 6.1 rebounds per game. After a shoulder injury forced him to sit out the 1998-99 campaign, he returned this season, averaging 5.4 points and 21 minutes in 18 games. Arinze began the year in the starting lineup but fell out of coach Dave Odom's rotation altogether with the emergence of guards Ervin Murray, Josh Howard and Craig Dawson.

Arinze has two years of eligibility remaining. He can either transfer to another Division I school, sit out a year and play one more year of college ball or switch to a Division II school and play out his last two years.