Moses takes two more breaststroke titles

Just one week after demolishing the world short-course records in the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke at the NCAA Championships, Virginia swimmer Ed Moses cruised to victory in the same events at the National Championships in Federal Way, Wash.

Moses, who said he tapered his training to peak at the NCAAs 10 days ago in Minneapolis, still won easily, taking both events by almost a full second. He turned in a time of 1:01.43 in the 100, six seconds behind his world record time, and finished in 2:13.86 in the 200, seven seconds behind his record.

• Virginia women's lacrosse
  • Princeton women's lacrosse
  • Temple women's lacrosse
  • Virginia crew
  • Virginia crew-unofficial
  • Virginia men's tennis
  • Virginia women's tennis
  • Virginia track and field
  • The National Championship were swum in a long course (50-meter) pool and all events were measured in meters.

Thomas who?

Tailbacks Tyree Foreman and Arlen Harris combined for five rushing touchdowns in the Virginia football team's first spring scrimmage Saturday.

Foreman scored three times, while Harris led the team with 62 yards on 16 carries and ran for two touchdowns.

Redshirt freshman Matt Schaub was the Cavaliers' leading passer, completing 13 of 15 passes for 138 yards. Wide receiver Billy McMullen caught five passes for 86 yards.

Linebacker Byron Thweatt, safety Shernard Newby and defensive end Ljubomir Stamenich led the defense.

Righting the ship

The Cavalier women's lacrosse team split a pair of road games up north this weekend, losing 8-7 at No. 2 Princeton before rebounding with a 13-5 win at No. 18 Temple.

The No. 8 Cavs (7-3, 0-2 ACC) got a combined six points from sisters Lauren and Lacey Aumiller to beat the Owls Saturday.

Friday night at Princeton, Virginia held a 6-5 lead before the Tigers scored three second-half goals and held on for the victory.

When animals attack

The men's and women's tennis teams suffered loses to conference rivals this weekend on a southern road trip.

In Atlanta, the men dropped their meet with Georgia Tech, 5-2, as four of six starters lost both their singles and doubles matches. Brian Vahaly and Huntley Montgomery bested their opponents in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches and as a doubles team. Their teammates lost the other six contests.

Meanwhile, the Jackets nearly swept the Cav women. The Cavaliers lost 8-1, with their point coming in the last doubles match.

Sunday in Clemson, S.C., the women (10-7, 0-3) led off the day with a close defeat at the hands of the Tigers. Clemson won two of three doubles matches to break a three-all tie and escape victorious.

The results of the men's matches at Clemson were not available at press time. The men were 10-7 overall and 4-1 in the ACC following the Georgia Tech loss.