Tennis teams travel to ACC tournaments

The Virginia men's tennis team (14-5, 6-2 ACC) has garnered the fourth seed in the ACC Men's Tennis Championship, which will be held April 20-23 in Norcross, Ga. at the Racquet Club of the South.

The Cavs will face fifth-seeded Florida State (13-9, 4-4 ACC) in the opening match. Virginia met Florida State once this season, March 26, and managed to swing a 4-3 victory. Florida State holds the all-time series advantage lead 7-6.

The Virginia women's tennis team (13-9, 3-5 ACC) will travel to Norcross to compete as the sixth seed in the women's tournament. They will face third-seeded Clemson (14-5, 6-2) in the opening match. The Cavs' only match against the Tigers this season was a 5-4 loss April 2 in Clemson, S.C.

Related Links
  • Cavalier Daily's

Expanded Men's Tennis Coverage

• Virginia

Men's Tennis

• Cavalier Daily's

Expanded Women's Tennis Coverage

• Virginia

Women's Tennis

• Cavalier Daily's

Expanded Women's Tennis Coverage

• Virginia

Baseball

• Cavalier Daily's

Expanded Baseball Coverage

•  

Lacrosse rises

Virginia men's lacrosse (8-1, 3-0 ACC) regained the No. 1 ranking in the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Division I poll after punishing the Duke Blue Devils 12-7 at Klöckner stadium last Saturday. Syracuse, ranked No. 1 last week, suffered its first loss of the season against Cornell. Virginia's defeat over Duke marked their eighth straight win and clinched the usurpation of power. The Cavaliers also claimed the ACC regular season crown with the victory. The Cavs' only loss this season was to Syracuse on the opening game of the season.

Virginia will begin ACC Tournament play this weekend. The top-seeded Cavaliers play North Carolina, the fourth seed, Friday at 6 p.m.

Baseball washed out

The Virginia baseball team's game against James Madison University scheduled for 3 p.m. yesterday was postponed due to unceasing rainfall in Charlottesville. The game was rescheduled for 4 p.m. Monday, April 24.

The Cavaliers are scheduled to face Virginia Tech today in Blacksburg at 3 p.m.

Deacons convert Wildcat

Steve Lepore, a 6-foot-5 sophomore guard on the Northwestern basketball team, has announced his plans to transfer to Wake Forest next year. Lepore averaged 9.2 points per game for the Wildcats as a sophomore and 8.2 points as a freshman.

Lepore's decision to transfer to Wake Forest arose from his positive interaction with Wake Forest Coach Dave Odom, Lepore told the Winston-Salem Journal. Odom coached Lepore as an assistant on the Junior Olympics team last summer.

After sitting out the required one season, Lepore will have two seasons of eligibility remaining at Wake Forest.