University watering holes: Where the wild things go

The University's Corner boasts a wide selection of shops, restaurants and sketchy townspeople. But perhaps the Corner is best known today for its multitude of fine (and not so fine) watering holes. Students have 10 bars to choose from, all within a three-block radius and no more than a five-minute stumble from the Rotunda. To make your drinking experience one of joy and merriment, we have tapped our kegs of knowledge and those of other bar-hopping veterans to bring you this comprehensive bar-by-bar guide to Corner debauchery. Our goal here is not to promote irresponsible drinking, but to provide you with a resource to aid your quest for responsible fun.

A brief history

Corner bars only have become a staple of student life in recent years. Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor, said beer was available at almost every function when he was a student, limiting the need for bars on the Corner. Sabato, who graduated in 1974, said kegs were a common sight all over Grounds, including the Lawn. Students had a very limited selection of bars from which to choose. "Back when I was in school, it was The Virginian. That was always the No. 1 watering hole and eatery," Sabato said.

University President John T. Casteen III, who graduated from the University in 1965, agreed. "I remember two places that might have been called student bars: The Virginian, the only one actually on the Corner, and the Cavalier Cavern," Casteen said.

The Cavalier Cavern was located where the Italian Villa, on Emmet Street, is located today. Casteen said he remembers a bar called The Library, which also was on Emmet Street.

"This place had a basement that was purely a bar, with music on certain nights, and an upper level food service," he said. "Its distinction was that the beer it served was so cold that ice floated in it, with the consequence that one could not taste the beer."

• Map of the Corner

•  

Now the Corner boasts 10 bars, all of which serve alcohol until 1:30 a.m.

The Bars

Each bar has been awarded zero to five of the following items, in the following categories:

Fraternity-ness: Kegs.

Sorority-ness: Black, stretchy pants.

Politico-ness: Jefferson cups.

Townie-ness: Corner Crazies.

Sophistication: Carafes of mocha latte.

Baja Bean Restaurante Y Cantina: As the Corner's lone Mexican restaurant, Baja offers excellent margaritas and tasty food. However, most students who choose to dine at Baja drink elsewhere afterwards, though the cantina does offer Dos Equis on draught.

Kegs: 2

Black, stretchy pants: 2.5

Jefferson Cups: 2.5

Corner Crazies: 3.5

Carafes of mocha latte: 2.5

Biltmore Grill: The Biltmore is perhaps the Corner's most popular bar. With a fraternity-like atmosphere, the Biltmore is almost always hopping, especially on Tuesday nights, when they have their $3 pitcher special.

"Besides it being the only legitimate dance option on the Corner, it also has the most steps so, on any given night, one can observe the most drunken revelers stumble, fall and make weak attempts to 'play it off,'" fourth-year Commerce student Ronnie Washington said. But "shame on the Biltmore for recognizing the inelastic demand of beer in a college town, and raising the cost of pitchers on Tuesday nights from $2 to $3."

Kegs: 5

Black, stretchy pants: 5

Jefferson Cups: 3

Corner Crazies: 1

Carafes of mocha latte: 1

Buddhist Bar & Grill: Buddhist is best known for its $5 steak and $1 beer specials on Monday nights. A laid-back alternative to some of the Corner's more crowded bars, Buddhist has an air of sophistication that is absent from many Corner saloons. "I started my 21st birthday party there," fourth-year College student Erin Bell said. "They are known for their good shots."

Kegs: 3

Black, stretchy pants: 4

Jefferson Cups: 2

Corner Crazies: 3

Carafes of mocha latte: 3.5

Coupe De Ville's: Coupe's has become one of the University's premier places to see and be seen, especially on Wednesday nights when Benny Dodd performs.

Though they have a tendency to run out of pitchers on the more crowded nights, Coupe's remains extremely popular and always crowded.

"I am a Coupe's fan. It's just like the 'Cheers' bar - where you go and everyone knows your name and they're always glad you came," fourth-year College student Ginny Rothschild said. Also, Coupe's appeals to everyone, "even if you're not in a frat or sorority, it can be a good social experience," said Fourth-Year Class President Drew Davis, "They both cater to that fratty, preppy population of U.Va."

Kegs: 5

Black, stretchy pants: 5

Jefferson Cups: 5

Corner Crazies: 1.5

Carafes of mocha latte: .5

Greenskeeper: Despite its wide selection of draught beers and large pitchers, the Greenskeeper is almost never crowded. If you never want to wait for a table or a chance at the dartboard, the Greenskeeper is your place.

Kegs: .5

Black, stretchy pants: 1

Jefferson Cups: 1

Corner Crazies: 3

Carafes of mocha latte: 2

Michael's Bistro: The classiest bar on the Corner, the Bistro offers a fine selection of beers including Guinness on draught and Brooklyn Brown Ale. The Bistro also boasts wonderful food, outdoor seating overlooking the Corner and frequent live musical performances.

Kegs: 2

Black, stretchy pants: 3

Jefferson Cups: 3.5

Corner Crazies: 2

Carafes of mocha latte: 5

O'Neill's Irish Pub: O'Neill's is usually crowded and is either a person's favorite or least favorite bar. Popular with student athletes, O'Neill's has pool tables, dartboards and two bars.

University Judiciary Committee Chairwoman Lissa Percopo lists O'Neill's as her favorite Corner pub. "I like the crowd and the people that work there," Percopo said. "The late night appetizers are killer, and in big portions. I'm terrible at pool and darts but with the right drink specials, I think I'm good."

Kegs: 5

Black, stretchy pants: 5

Jefferson Cups: 4

Corner Crazies: 1

Carafes of mocha latte: 1.5

Orbits: Orbits is typically crowded with non-University students. Complete with pool tables and a large bar, Orbits presents a change of pace to the Corner's other establishments.

Kegs: .5

Black, stretchy pants: .5

Jefferson Cups: .5

Corner Crazies: 4.5

Carafes of mocha latte: 2

St. Maarten's Café: Maarten's boasts the best selection of mixed drinks and shooters on the Corner. From Lara's Booty to the Stonewall to the Power Apple, Maarten's has something for all of the University's non-beer drinkers. The late-night menu at Maarten's features seven types of chicken wings. "I've become really enamored with St. Maarten's. It's less of that 'fratty' element that makes the Biltmore more tiresome," Student Council President Joe Bilby said.

"For raucous group behavior, I would always go to St. Maarten's," said Wayne Cozart, Alumni Association director of alumni programs.

Kegs: 2

Black, stretchy pants: 2

Jefferson Cups: 3

Corner Crazies: 3.5

Carafes of mocha latte: 3

The Virginian: Popular with graduate students, The Virginian's claim to fame is its microbrew, Rotunda Thunda. While this bar is small in size, it has played a central part in the University's history.

"For atmosphere, I like The Virginian the best," Cozart said. "However, there is NO good bar bar on the Corner."

Kegs: 1

Black, stretchy pants: .5

Jefferson Cups: 1

Corner Crazies: 3.5

Carafes of mocha latte: 3.5

The Corner has something for everybody, depending on your beverage of choice and mood that evening. But if you are anything like us, you will especially enjoy St. Maarten's, Coupe's and the Bistro and will stay away from Orbits and Greenskeeper.

But don't take Greedak's word for it. Try them for yourself and discover the Corner's hotspots on your own.