Cavalier seniors earn preseason tennis rankings

After posting successful seasons in the spring, Virginia tennis players Brian Vahaly and Huntley Montgomery earned national collegiate preseason rankings for the 2000-01 season.

Vahaly is ranked third in the nation for singles and Montgomery is 27th. In the doubles poll, the duo is ranked 11th overall.

This summer, Vahaly won the singles and doubles titles at the ITA National Summer Championships, earning a wild-card bid to the U.S. Open qualifying tournaments. He lost in the first round in both tournaments at the Open.

Last season, Vahaly was named ACC Player of the Year, earned All-American honors for the second consecutive year and was named to the 2000 USA Tennis Collegiate Team. He advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Singles Championship before being eliminated. Vahaly finished with a 35-5 singles record and a No. 5 ranking.

Montgomery, the number two seed on the Virginia team, ended the 1999-2000 season with a 21-13 singles record and a No. 64 national ranking.

California Dreamin'

The Virginia women's soccer team plays No. 6 Stanford tonight in the Stanford Nike Invitational at 7:30 p.m. Pacific time. Sunday, the No. 15 Cavaliers face No. 19 Santa Clara at 11 a.m.

Coach Steve Swanson takes the Cavs (3-2) to Stanford to face the team he coached for four years.

Stomping the Heels?

The No. 7 Cavalier field hockey team (3-1) will continue its season at No. 2 North Carolina Sunday at 1 p.m.

Star senior midfielder Lorraine Vizzuso may not play after rolling her left ankle in practice this week. She was on crutches yesterday but said she plans to play Sunday if the coaching staff will let her.

On the road again

The Virginia women's volleyball team (4-3) will face Arkansas tonight in the Arkansas Invitational at 7 p.m. Tomorrow, the Cavaliers play Michigan and Houston.