Men's soccer suffers overtime loss to Tribe

Virginia freshman forward Alecko Eskandarian continued to pile up the goals, but he couldn't keep the Cavalier men's soccer team from swallowing a 3-2 overtime loss to unranked William & Mary last night in Virginia Beach.

Tribe freshman Philip Hucles opened the scoring in the 50th minute and hammered home the game-winner in the 100th. Hucles is the younger brother of Angela Hucles, who graduated from the University in May as the most prolific scorer in the history of the Cavalier women's soccer program.

William & Mary 3 - Virginia 2
Cavalier Daily Box Score

Hucles and Eskandarian traded goals early in the second half, but William & Mary junior Caleb Stoddart, a Charlottesville native, scored on a direct kick in the 86th minute to snap the 1-1 deadlock.

The Tribe (2-3) looked like it had sealed the upset with Stoddart's goal, but Eskandarian tied the game for the No. 6 Cavs (6-3) with a shot from 23 yards out in the final minute of play.

Related Links
  • Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia men's soccer
  • Olympics.com
  • Official Wake Forest men's basketball site

•  

Ten minutes into overtime, William & Mary drove the stake home, as Hucles - wearing No. 6, just as his sister Angela did at Virginia - found the back of the net after a pass from senior midfielder Adam Schultz.

Tribe junior goalkeeper Billy Platz sparkled in net, making nine saves. Virginia goalie Kyle Singer recorded three saves while playing the entire 100 minutes.

Smokin' the Cubans

They weren't exactly the Bad News Bears, but they weren't the Big Red Machine either.

Stocked with fresh-scrubbed draft choices and minor-league lifers, the U.S. Olympic baseball team beat Cuba 4-0 yesterday to win America's first ever baseball gold medal.

The Cuban squad has been weakened somewhat by the cumulative effects of years of defections to the U.S. major leagues, but the shutout was nevertheless a stunning victory.

Righthander Ben Sheets, Milwaukee's first-round draft choice last year, pitched a complete game three-hitter. The Cubans' .344 team batting average was the tournament's best, but only one runner got as far as second base against Sheets.

Another Deac bites the dust

Tuesday was not a good day for Wake Forest athletics. Sophomore quarterback C.J. Leak finally went under the knife to fix a knee injury suffered Sept. 16 against Clemson, while 6-foot-9 basketball center Rafael Vidaurreta had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Vidaurreta will have the knee re-evaluated in six to eight weeks. The senior gave the Deacons tough post defense and a team-high 6.9 rebounds per game last year.

Vidauretta experienced discomfort in the knee during preseason workouts. An examination uncovered a fracture to the bony cartilage of the knee.