New women's clinic offers comfort, care

Gastrointestinal problems like irritable bowel syndrome and cramping are not common topics of conversation -- especially for women. But Dr. Cynthia Yoshida wants women to feel more comfortable discussing bodily functions by offering a clinic that is "for women and staffed by women."

The Women's Digestive Health Clinic opened Sept. 1, coming to the rescue of embarrassed women in the University community.

"There were a lot of women that were seeking us out because of gender," said Yoshida, University associate professor of internal medicine.

The clinic, located at Northridge, about a 10-minute drive west from Central Grounds, offers such services as colon cancer screenings, pain psychology, relaxation techniques and psychotherapy. Five practitioners, a registered dietician and a pain psychologist staff the clinic.

"I think it's [rare in] the nation," Yoshida said. "Our clinic is a model for other clinics." She said there are very few clinics of its kind, pointing out that Georgetown University also has a similar women's gastrointestinal clinic.

The University's clinic also is distinct because it's not in the same building as a hospital or other health facility.

Patients may opt to participate in clinical trials because of the program's academic affiliation with the University, which gives it access to the latest technology.

Yoshida said pharmaceutical companies would be more likely to target the clinic for testing new treatments because of its unusual position as a gender-oriented facility.

Some female University students said they feel an all-women clinic is a strong addition to the health care services already provided.

First-year College student Bernadette Goncz said she would "feel more comfortable" going to a clinic that caters to women if she knew the option existed.

Second-year College student Adrianne Roman said she agrees the new service will benefit women. "I would definitely go out of my way" to speak with a woman doctor, she said.