U.S. men's soccer will play Chile for bronze medal

The gold medal hopes of the U.S. men's soccer team were crushed by a 3-1 loss to Spain in semifinal play Tuesday, but the Americans still can salvage their improbable run in the 2000 Olympics by winning the bronze. The U.S. faces Chile for third place Friday night.

The team - which features former Cavaliers Chris Albright, Ben Olsen and Jeff Agoos - has performed extremely well in Sydney, becoming the first American team to advance beyond the first round of Olympic competition.

In Saturday's gold medal match, Spain, which won the gold in the 1992 Barcelona Games, will play Cameroon, which defeated Chile 2-1 in Tuesday's other semifinal match.

• Official U.S. Soccer Federation site
  • Official ACC football site
  • Official Alabama football site
  •  

Hold me closer, tiny Dantzler

Three Clemson football players received ACC weekly honors following excellent performances in the Tigers' 31-10 win at Virginia Saturday.

Star quarterback Woodrow Dantzler was named Offensive Back of the Week after piling up 220 rushing yards on 18 carries against Virginia to break his own ACC single-game record for rushing yards by a quarterback. He ran for touchdowns of 75 yards and 45 yards and was responsible for 374 of Clemson's 481 yards of total offense.

The other two Tigers receiving honors were center Kyle Young and punt returner Joe Don Reames, the Offensive Lineman of the Week and Specialist of the Week, respectively. In 65 plays, Young did not give up a sack for the fourth straight game. Reames returned a punt 69 yards for a touchdown, the first such play for the Tigers in two years.

Florida State swept the weekly defensive awards with linebacker Tommy Polley and defensive end Jamal Reynolds. N.C. State quarterback Philip Rivers earned his fourth Rookie of the Week award in as many weeks. Only four other ACC players have won the weekly rookie honor four times in a season.

DuBose will stay on as 'Bama coach

Openly critical of his own performance as the Crimson Tide got off to its worst start in 10 years, Alabama coach Mike DuBose offered to resign 10 days ago.

DuBose, a former SEC Coach of the Year, made the offer after Alabama's 21-0 loss to Southern Mississippi, but athletics director Mal Moore did not accept the resignation offer.

DuBose will continue to coach until at least the end of the season. Moore told The Associated Press that DuBose's future will not be discussed until the end of the season.

The Crimson Tide was ranked No. 3 in the preseason coaches' poll but dropped out of the Top 25 with three losses since then. Alabama fell to 1-3 with a 28-21 loss to Arkansas Saturday.

"I'm mad at myself, because I'm not doing the job the way the job should be done," DuBose told the AP. "I'm not going to make excuses. We're not playing as well as we're capable of. The staff knows that, the players know that, and that starts with me. I've got to do a better job of coaching"