Harper commits to join Cav men's basketball

The Virginia men's basketball team received a verbal commitment from 6-foot-3 guard Jermaine Harper yesterday, but waved goodbye to two prominent targets. Cave Spring shooting guard J.J. Redick will play for Duke and 6-10 power forward Jordan Collins chose N.C. State.

Harper, who starred at Blue Ridge Prep in St. George, Va., joins 6-2 point guard Keith Jenifer on the Cavs' list of verbal commitments for the 2001-02 season.

The 6-4 Redick, one of the nation's premier shooters, will hold a press conference today to announce his intention of signing with Duke, InsidersReport.com reported yesterday.

• CD Online Women's Basketball Coverage
  • Schuye LaRue
  • CD Online Cross Country Coverage
  • CD Online Men's Basketball Coverage
  • Duke football
  • With Jenifer and Harper on board, Virginia seems to have little room for 6-7 swingman Erik Bond, one of four recruits who visited Grounds 10 days ago.

Collins, a 240-pounder out of DeMatha Catholic High in Hyattsville, Md., was one of several big men on the Cav wish list, a group that includes mammoth 7-footer DeSagana Diop, 6-9 Ousmane Cisse and 6-10 Jamal Sampson.

LaRue the day

The Atlanta Tipoff Club named Virginia forward Schuye LaRue as one of the preseason candidates for the 2000-01 Naismith College Women's Basketball Player of the Year Award. The Naismith Awards go to the top male and female college basketball players in the nation.

LaRue, a sophomore from Washington, D.C., led the Cavs in scoring (14.4 points per game) and rebounding (8.0 per game) last season. She was named ACC Rookie of the Year and earned second-team All-ACC and ACC All-Tournament honors.

LaRue was named a Kodak Honorable Mention All-American last season, the first Virginia freshman ever to receive that honor.

The only other Virginia player to receive the women's Naismith Award is point guard Dawn Staley, who won in 1991 and 1992. Tennessee's Tamika Catchings won the award last year.

Country cookin'

Virginia cross country captain Bobby Thiele was named ACC Runner of the Week after his victory last week at the George Washington University Invitational.

Thiele, a senior from Charlottesville, won the event by 14 seconds over Brian Godsey of Miami. The Cavaliers took second place in the event