Erikat talks on Mideast crisis

In contrast to conventional American views that the Middle East peace process is beneficial to both Israelis and Palestinians, independent Palestinian activist Said Erikat argued in a speech last night in Monroe Hall that peace negotiations have consistently proved detrimental to Palestinians.

About 60 people attended the event, which was sponsored by the Arab Students Organization.

The Mideast violence erupted Sept. 28 after hawkish Israeli politician Ariel Sharon visited a site considered holy to both Jews and Muslims. The Temple Mount has been a major stumbling block for the peace process, and many Palestinians viewed Sharon's visit as provocation.

Since the visit, violence escalated, causing over 174 deaths, mostly Palestinian.

Although peace talks between Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat temporarily have halted, a meeting between former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres and Arafat reportedly is imminent.

While the United States repeatedly has called on Arafat to take more action to halt violence, Erikat said he believes Israeli aggression is responsible for instigating the recent clashes and Israel "has waged a sniper's war on Palestine."

The violence is evidence of an "ongoing war waged by the Israeli army on a virtually unarmed people," he said.

Israel is "in a constant state of aggression" and is the most armed country in the world as a result of support from the United States, he added.

Peace negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians have resulted in windfall gains for the Israelis and increased suffering for the Palestinians, Erikat said.

The peace talks have created higher unemployment and a lowered standard of living for Palestinians, but they also have resulted in an increase in Israeli settlements, he said.

Erikat called Arafat a weak leader and said the Palestinian leaders who have made concessions to Israel during peace negotiations were "inept" and acting out of "pitiful self-indulgence."

It is impossible for Palestinians to negotiate with Israel because Israelis regard Palestinians as second-class citizens, he said.

"I don't believe Israelis will ever reconcile themselves to a Palestinian state," he added.

Israelis regard Palestinians as "instruments," useful only for "picking up garbage, cleaning the streets and building Zionist settlements," Erikat said.

He also criticized unilateral U.S. support of Israel.

"Palestinians are berated by the cynical and pandering American media for not accepting [Israeli Prime Minister Ehud] Barak's terms," he added.

The United States is "completely biased" in favor of Israel and has done nothing but agree with Israel-backed accords, Erikat said.

The recent Middle East violence indicates that "the peace process is dead ... Palestinians have broken free from their shackles," he said.