Students fearful negotiators will offer too much

In the face of escalating violence in the Middle East, Muslim and Jewish students at the University are expressing concern about the crumbling peace process and the degree of concessions they would be willing to make to achieve peace.

Third-year Medical School student Hani Mowafi said Arafat does not have the right to concede land or holy sites such as the al-Haram as-Sharif to Israel during the peace talks.

"Arafat can concede an internationally recognized site no more than the Pope can concede the Vatican," Mowafi said.

Many Palestinians were forced to surrender their land after the creation of Israel in 1948, and Arafat cannot forfeit land to Israel that was previously held by Palestinians, he said.

"All people expelled from their homes have a right to land and compensation. [Arafat] cannot give it away," he said.

But Hillel Treasurer Jeffrey Scherr said Barak should not concede Jewish holy sites to the Palestinians.

"Personally, I support joint access to these sites. Considering how under Israeli control [the sites have] been open to all, I see no reason for such concessions," Scherr said.

He said he believes Israel can be a haven for people of all faiths, but he does not oppose the creation of an independent Palestinian state as long as it does not "compromise Israeli security or interfere with the most holy of Jewish sites."

Former Arab Student Organization president Shereen Abdel-Nabi said she is torn on the issue of whether Arafat should make concessions of holy sites to further the peace process.

"We wouldn't have come this far" if concessions had not been made, she said. "But peace carries a price tag, and the people have to be happy"