Zwarich takes ACC award along with record

Virginia senior middle blocker Deanna Zwarich was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Volleyball Player of the Week for her stellar play against Clemson Friday and Georgia Tech Saturday.

Zwarich led Virginia to a 3-0 (15-7, 16-14, 15-5) win over Clemson and a come-from-behind 3-2 (10-15, 8-15, 15-2, 15-10, 15-12) victory over Georgia Tech.

Zwarich's 22 kills against moved her to 500 kills on the season and gave her Virginia's single season kills record. Zwarich is now 13 kills shy of surpassing Greta Jansson's school record of 1,465 career kills.

Virginia tennis falls in third round

Three Virginia women's tennis players lost their third-round matches and were eliminated from the Intercollegiate Tennis Association East Region Championships Sunday. Virginia has no more competitors alive in the tournament.

Related Links
  • CD Online's volleyball coverage
  • CD Online's men's soccer coverage
  •  

All three lost in straight sets. Sophomore Jennifer Tuchband lost to Pennsylvania junior Shubha Srinivasan 6-3, 6-1. Sophomore Henriette Williams was bested by Temple junior Tamara Truta 6-2, 6-3. Senior Christie Schweer was downed by Owl freshman Danira Penic, 6-2, 6-0.

Heavyweight Etu competes in Tokyo

Virginia heavyweight wrestler Josh Etu competed in two matches for the United States in the 2000 World University Wrestling Championships in Tokyo, Japan. Etu stands 0-2 in the Championships after losing both his matches yesterday.

His first loss came at the hands of Korea's Lee Wook in a 3-1 overtime decision and then to Belarus' Andrei Chekhauskoi, 10-0, in a technical fall at 3 minutes, 27 seconds.

Etu, a Queensbury, N.Y., native, will wrestle for the Cavaliers this year as a sophomore. He will compete in one more match in Tokyo, Nov. 7, before returning to Virginia.

Gibbs named ACC Co-Player of the Week

Virginia men's soccer player Ryan Gibbs was named the ACC Co-Player of the Week for scoring the game-winning goal in the Cavs' 2-0 victory over Maryland Friday.

Gibbs, a sophomore forward, notched the game-winner, his ninth goal of the season at the 63:13 mark.

Gibbs is currently second in points on the team with 21.

ACC football standings take shape

This weekend's football action went a long way toward settling the standings in the ACC.

Florida State's 54-7 defeat of 17th-ranked Clemson Saturday not only gave father Bobby Bowden his second consecutive victory over his son Tommy Bowden in Bowden Bowl II, but clinched Florida State's (9-1, 7-0 ACC) ninth straight ACC title.

Virginia (5-3, 4-2) now stands in a two-way tie for third place with Georgia Tech (6-2, 4-2), who they will face Nov. 9.