Hooville: the good, the bad and the smelly

In years gone by, Roger Mason's three-point dagger to seal a precious, if unspectacular, road triumph at Florida State likely would have spawned one of the following bow-tied, beer-swilling Cavalier responses:

"Hooray for us ... So, does Chi Phi have something tonight?"

Or, "Yay, we won ... Did Clemons extend its hours of operation to accommodate students who wished to partake of a little Saturday afternoon basketball over cell biology?"

Or perhaps, "Is Roger Mason that cute red-headed Hullabahoo you were giving the eye at our semi-formal last weekend?"

Now Virginia zealots sing a different tune - one with a melody that was distinctly audible the second Mason's bomb detonated in the bottom of the net: "Let's go tenting."

Tenting? Whoa. I thought that was reserved for Eagle Scout escapades and guys'-weekend-out adventures.

• Cavalier Daily coverage

of men's basketball

•  

Sure enough, Sunday morning brought the din of tent pegs fastening and sleeping bags unrolling - all this a mere 168 hours before the North Carolina bus speeds into town for a date with the 'Hoos.

If you haven't noticed, and I'm sure you have by now (this distinguished collegiate publication only ran an average of three stories per issue last week), there's a student subculture burgeoning at Mr. Jefferson's once-mute University. Its name is "Hooville," its mission is to spend as much time as humanly possible milling idly around the outskirts of University Hall in hopes of landing a game ticket, and its presence is downright awesome.

But let's not jump to any hasty conclusions. The concept is novel by Charlottesville standards, but we're a long way from Duke's "Krzyzewski-ville."

Before the Duke game slips our minds (yeah, like we'll ever forget that game) and Carolina hits town, let's issue midterm examination grades for the fans' performance at last Wednesday's heartstopper, replete with a few helpful hints along the way.

1) Costumes

It's always more fun to start positive. The smashing orange numbers sported by seemingly everyone created a tidal wave of Cavalier color flooding the Hall.

Kudos to the gentleman with the ingenuity to shave his head, stripe the rills of his scalp in black marker, stitch "Raisinhead" on the back of a Duke jersey and call himself Shane Battier. Classic.

Grade: A

2) Signs

Another indication that Wahoo enthusiasts, while new to the idea of maniacal support, can catch on fast.

For the days upon days of hoopla, an overabundance of analysis, commentary and prediction leading up to the showdown, one fan found three words to crystallize the entire experience: "Wojo still sucks" (in honor of pesky Devil guard turned assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski).

A second-place ribbon goes to "No ferrets allowed," a tribute to Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Grade: A-

Now I offer up a couple of categories that could use some much-needed air-brushing as we prepare to float part two of the Hooville trial balloon:

1) Chants

As much as it pains me to admit it, Duke has us killed in this area. In Durham, devoted Devils bedeviled Donald Hand by rudely reminding him that "you have two points" when the guard's first bucket arrived courtesy of a late-game dunk to draw Virginia within 40.

Minutes later, an encore performance: "Why are you ranked?" cascaded throughout Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke's refrains are witty, biting and inventive. Virginia's are tangled and trite, if existent at all.

Grade: C

Finally, we explore a subject that engulfs more than just the Hooville tribe, but the Charlottesville community as a whole:

2) Sanitation

The fun was clean; the ones having the fun weren't. So, with the rank stench of water-soaked sleeping bags still sending a shiver, here are a few lessons to draw from the fledgling attempt at fanaticism.

First, take a shower ... and a little pride in personal hygiene.

Thousands of unbathed students packed in a shoebox-sized campground for five days at a time has a way of emitting the foulest of smells.

Next, buy waterproof tents.

Rain happens, and when it does, standing pools of water result in tents that aren't water-resistant. Spend the extra couple of bucks on a higher quality tent and save everyone the stink that emanates from your sleeping bag if you don't.

Finally, don't drink. If you do, please don't drink to excess. If you do, clean up the remnants of your revelry.

ACC basketball can be a jolly good time, but 72-hour-old vomit pooled in an alcohol-induced lake is an image and a smell no one should be forced to entertain.

Grade: D

For all the nitpicking, the fact that Hooville actually exists has me bubbling with enthusiasm. Pete Gillen spoke the truth when he remarked that "you guys beat Duke." Now go beat North Carolina.