Jenkins grabs ACC lacrosse weekly honors

The ACC named Virginia senior midfielder David Jenkins as men's lacrosse Player of the Week.

In the Cavaliers' opening matchup of the season against No. 20 Towson, Jenkins, a preseason All-American, excelled as Virginia's faceoff specialist, winning 15-of-23 draws. Jenkins' efforts helped the Cavaliers jump to an early 5-1 lead en route to a 12-8 win. Jenkins also showcased his defensive abilities as he led the team with 12 ground balls.

Jenkins, a preseason All-American and one of the top faceoff specialists in the country, and the rest of the No. 3 Cavaliers travel to face top-ranked Syracuse on Saturday.

Women's soccer takes five recruits

Virginia women's soccer coach Steve Swanson announced the signing of five players for the Cavaliers' 2001-2002 recruiting class. All five are All-Americans, and three are Under-19 National Team members. The incoming class includes Katie Bunch of St. Louis, Mo., Jamie Fabrizio of Carmel, Ind., Jessica Trainor of Sparta, N.J., Taylor Wood of San Ramon, Calif., and Lindsay Gusick of Livonia, Mich.

• Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia men's lacrosse
  • Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia women's soccer
  • Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia women's basketball
  •  

Jamie Fabrizio highlights the incoming class, entering Virginia as the reigning National Soccer Coaches Association of America Player of the Year. Fabrizio also is a member of the U.S. National U-19 team.

Lindsay Gusick comes to the Cavaliers as a three-time NSCAA All-American and a member of the National U-19 team. On top of her soccer accomplishments, Gusick also was her high school's basketball team captain and MVP.

Katie Bunch, also a two-time NSCAA All-American, joins Fabrizio and Gusick on the National U-19 team.

Jessica Trainor, who like Gusick was captain of her high school's basketball team, is the current West New Jersey Player of the Year.

Taylor Wood was placed on the West Regional Team this past year.

Swanson said he is extremely enthusiastic about the arrival of the new recruits in Charlottesville.

"There is no question that this is an extremely talented and deep class," Swanson said. "We are excited about the qualities they will bring to the team on the field, but equally as excited about the kind of people they represent off the field."

Swanson expects that the Cavaliers will attain more members of the class of 2005 when the season begins in August.

Virginia's LaRue named All-ACC

Virginia sophomore Schuye LaRue was named to the 2000-2001 All-ACC Women's Basketball Team yesterday.

The 6-foot-3 forward received 179 points from the media, including 56 first place votes, for the team, second only to North Carolina's LaQuanda Barksdale, who had 183 points.

LaRue leads Virginia with 18.4 points per game.