Faculty members receive $500,000 in research funds

The National Endowment for the Humanities continued its long-standing relationship with the University this week by handing out over $500,000 in grant money to faculty members.

Four faculty members received grants from the NEH, which recognizes exceptional humanities programs at colleges, universities and historical societies across the nation. The NEH focuses on initiatives that preserve and study America's cultural past.

NEH spokesman Jim Turner said the organization looks for projects showing promise of added value to our understanding of the humanities.

Philander D. Chase, editor-in-chief of the Washington Papers, received a research grant of $200,000, paired with a $250,000 challenge grant. With a challenge grant, the recipient must raise an amount of money equal to the grant. For the Washington Papers project, Chase compiles and organizes George Washington's letters of correspondence. The NEH has funded the project since its inception 30 years ago. The NEH itself was formed 35 years ago.

"Our project and the NEH have sort of grown up together," Chase said.

The NEH also provided $90,000 and a matching challenge grant to fund the compilation of additional presidential correspondence as part of the Madison Papers project.

History Prof. John C. A. Stagg, editor-in-chief of the Madison Papers, said he and his colleagues will continue preparing additional texts on James Madison's life. The added volumes will feature his terms as president and secretary of state. The Madison Papers also have received NEH funding for several years.

Holly C. Shulman, an associate research professor in studies of women and gender and a fellow at the Virginia Center for Digital Humanities, will use her $63,670 NEH grant for research on the life of Madison's wife Dolley.

The grant will fund Shulman's efforts to create a digital archive of Dolley Madison's letters. Shulman aims for people "to understand something about the history of women in power" through studying Madison's letters.

Architectural History Prof. John V. Maciuika will use his $4,500 summer stipend to work on his book, entitled "Before the Bauhaus: Architecture, Politics and the German State, 1890-1915."

Maciuika will use his grant in conjunction with his academic-year research fellowship starting next fall, which he received through the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.