Young leads softball by example

Being a great athlete takes more than just talent - one must also have a good work ethic, teamwork skills, a positive attitude, leadership ability and love of the game. Those special few who possess all these traits go down in the annals of memory as sporting legends.

Meaghan Young, senior right fielder for the Virginia softball team, already has earned her stripes as a softball great. She holds Virginia career records in games played (248), at bats (839), base hits (269), total bases (381), runs (137), steals (50) and doubles (49). She also holds single-season records in base hits (72), total bases (103), triples (9) and runs (45).

Yet her prowess at the plate is overshadowed by her incredible work ethic and durability. Not only has she never missed a game in her four-year career, she has never missed a single inning. To put that in perspective, the legendary Cal Ripken Jr.'s major league record for consecutive innings lasted slightly over five years.

Related Links
  • Cavalier Daily coverage of Virginia softball

• "She's been my leadoff hitter and I say we always kid because when we make the lineup, we don't even think about who's the leadoff hitter," Virginia coach Cheryl Sprangel said. "She's had that spot for four years. We just know she's always going to be there. She'll never be replaced - that type of player - we could never replace her."

Teammates also admire Young's leadership abilities. As the only player on the squad who has played four years, Young is one of the team's tri-captains and an emotional driving force for her teammates.

"She's always really positive, she's always led by example, and she's one of the best players I've ever seen in my entire life," redshirt junior Kelly McCabe said. "Every single day she comes ready to play. For four years and 70 games a year, that's really hard to do."

Off the diamond, this stellar athlete becomes just another student. Young, a Spanish major, enjoys kicking back with friends and listening to classic rock bands like the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd. And just like anyone else, she knows how to enjoy a good laugh.

"I guess I'm a pretty outgoing person, easy to get along with," Young said. "Some people think I'm funny - I can crack a joke or two here or there."

"She's so much fun," McCabe agreed. "She's one of my best friends here at this school. Even when I'm 0-for-3 she'll say something to make me laugh, lift me up somehow. Just a great friend. Always there for you."

Young's life has always revolved around sports. The youngest child of four siblings, she grew up surrounded by athletic relatives. Her father played hockey at West Point, her brother played baseball at West Point, and one of her sisters played softball at Fairfield (Conn.). In high school, Young lettered in softball, basketball and soccer. She started to concentrate more on softball when she realized her potential to play at the Division I level.

Young's future could be in sports as well, as she plans to go to graduate school for exercise physiology. After graduate school, she hopes to work with many college teams as a strength and training coach.

"Just working with athletes is something I definitely want to do," she said.

Her love of sports has taken her far at Virginia. Young has led the Cavaliers to second place finishes in the ACC tournament each of the last three years. This year, the team has a 43-13 record and now is in the midst of a six-game winning streak. Hopes for an ACC championship and an elusive bid to the NCAA tournament are running high.

"I think we definitely have a great shot this year," Young said. "If we play our best, we can beat anybody."

Virginia will play doubleheaders against Pittsburgh and Maryland this weekend, which will be the last home games in Young's storied career. She hopes she will be remembered as the kind of player who worked diligently to better herself and the team.

"Softball-wise, I definitely want people to remember me as hardworking, good work ethic, great attitude, classy," Young said. "Everything I've accomplished is a result of hard work."

If that is true, Young's hard work has paid off. Her teammates, coaches and fans will remember her as a true sporting champion.