Snyder to leave Darden for job at alma mater

The pull of his alma mater proved too strong for Darden School Dean Edward A. Snyder, who will leave the University to take over as dean of the University of Chicago's School of Business on Sept. 1.

Snyder, who has served as dean since July 1998, was the sixth dean in the graduate business school's 47-year history.

A search committee to find a new dean, led by C. Ray Smith, a professor and the director of the Darden Foundation, held its first meeting Thursday.

University Provost Peter W. Low said the University aims to find a replacement by the end of the summer but noted this may depend on the size of the candidate pool and when the individual ultimately selected for the position can start working.

Smith will serve as the school's interim dean during the search.

Snyder said the decision was a very difficult one to make but added that he made it out of loyalty to his alma mater. He received both a master's degree and a Ph.D. from Chicago.

He added that Chicago holds a special place in his heart. He met his wife there 22 years ago.

Low pointed to Snyder's commitment to integrating the Darden School into the broader University community as one of his greatest accomplishments.

"He was a strong and effective participant in University affairs," Low said.

Snyder said the Darden School has become more involved in University affairs over the past few years, which he attributes to a team effort among the Darden School community.

University President John T. Casteen III said he agreed that Snyder played an active role in University-wide initiatives, contributing to, among other endeavors, the search for a new provost and Virginia 2020 long-term planning, which maps out where the University wants to be in 20 years.

Casteen said Snyder contributed to many advances at Darden, including the completion of the school's capital campaign, designing current construction projects on the physical buildings, and expanding the school's enrollment.

Smith said he and the five additional search committee members will speak with as many members of the Darden School community as possible to decide what qualities to seek in a new dean. Faculty, staff members, alumni, board of trustees members and students all will have the opportunity to convey what they want in a replacement, he said.

The committee will consider both internal and external applicants, he said.

Snyder said that he will not step down from his post until June 30, and he will continue carrying out his duties until then.

"I'm committed to doing anything I can to making a smooth transition," he said.

Snyder, who has lived in Pavilion V for the past two years, said leaving his home on the Lawn will be one of the most difficult parts of the transition.

"That's one of the things we're going to miss the most - this year in particular," he said. "I'm taking a lot of grief from my kids for this"