Cool recipes and tips make cooking fun, healthy

There will come a time when the Fourth of July leftovers in the fridge no longer look appetizing, and the unidentified substance in the Tupperware container should probably be thrown away. During the summer, without the convenience and flavor of an O-Hill meal plan, some students struggle to find cheap, healthy and tasty foods.

Susan Del Gobbo, the clinical nutritionist at the Student Health center, has suggestions for students during the hot summer months.

_ She recommends that students start by eating foods that are in season.

"Take advantage of the abundanceof seasonal produce," Del Gobbo said. "If you can eat within the season you can get fresher, more nutritious foods that cost less." Foods currently in season include cantaloupe, peaches, tomatoes, basil, eggplant and green beans.

_ Branch out. "Go over to the Charlottesville Farmers Market on Water Street," Del Gobbo said. "They have delicious fresh produce, fruit, vegetables, flowers and on Saturday mornings there are also baked goods and live music." A smaller version of the market also takes place Wednesday mornings on the Downtown Mall.

_ Frozen drinks are nutritious and delicious during the hot Charlottesville summer and also work well for students in a rush.

"Cold drinks are really nice, especially for students who engage in activities like running, bike riding or walking," Del Gobbo explained. Students often complain that after exercising they are hungry but too hot to eat.

"So instead of something heavy, make a nutritious shake or a smoothie with fresh fruit and non-fat yogurt, and if you like it sweet add a little honey. Then you have some substance, not just water," she said.

_ Try eating cooler foods that take less cooking in the oven, "like pastas with light homemade tomato sauce, or soups like gazpacho or cold tomato soup made with skim milk instead of cream," Del Gobbo said.

_ Find recipes online or in magazines such as Cooking Right.

_ Thaw all meat and poultry in the refrigerator. "People have a tendency to put meat on the counter and let it defrost," which fosters harmful bacteria, Del Gobbo explained. "Studies show that microwaving poultry, hamburgers and fish even for 10 minutes helps decrease toxic chemicals." Also, when grilling, wrap fish in aluminum foil so it's not cooking directly over the flames.

_ Del Gobbo recommends foods that need minimal preparation, such as "an attractive platter with tomatoes and olive oil."

_ For dessert, try using fresh fruit in combination with something sweet. Del Gobbo suggests berries on a tart or peaches with ice cream. "I don't think people should pull the luxury foods or rich foods out of their diets, just eat them in moderation. For example, a dessert bowl would have quite a few berries and a small spoonful of yogurt or ice cream on top."

_ Have a picnic. Charlottesville boasts several parks and nearby areas that provide a beautiful setting for an outdoor meal.

Most of all, don't be afraid to be creative. Summer is the perfect time to try new and unique recipes, and if you mess up <00AD>- well, there's always take-out.