Campaigns for governor resume after tragedies

Since the summer, gubernatorial candidates Mark Warner (D) and Mark Earley (R) have been gearing up for the Virginia elections on Nov. 6. But after the recent terrorist attacks, both campaigns have changed tones.

During the week of Sept. 11, both campaigns canceled all public activity. Each camp pulled television ads and canceled appearances.

But campaigning started to kick in last week.

"We've been devastated by recent events," said Yoorie Oh, deputy press secretary for the Earley campaign. "But we have resumed public activities."

Earley has resumed making public appearances as he continues campaigning around the state.

"We must ensure that democracy is alive and well," Oh said. "Virginia can set a model as one of two states conducting a gubernatorial race this year."

The Warner Campaign also has been busy resuming campaigning for the election, with Warner appearing at the University's Alumni Hall Sept. 18.

"It's been a challenging few weeks," said Amanda Crumley, communications director for the Warner campaign. "We're about a mile from the Pentagon, so we could see smoke coming from it and hear fighter jets over our heads."

To address the events of Sept. 11, the Warner campaign created a television ad entitled "Unity," in which Warner urged Virginians to support the government.

The television advertisment "addressed the need to come together and support our president and military," Crumley said.

Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor agreed that the campaigns took the right steps in canceling campaign activity following the tragedy.

"They both suspended activity for a week which was appropriate but the candidates have an obligation to the voters to do their job," Sabato said. "It's very appropriate that they have begun campaigning again. One will be governor and running a budget of $40 billion-plus."

Sabato encouraged Virginians to vote especially in light of the event in New York and Washington area.

"Democracy is rooted in our elections, voters need to take the time to go out and vote no matter what the headlines are," he said.