University may open wellness dormitory

The infamous "freshman 15," the accessibility of alcohol, and fitting exercise into full schedules are only a few of the challenges that college students face. With the addition of a wellness residence house as early as next year, a group of upper-class students may gain newfound support as they deal with such hurdles.

"The wellness house will provide a residence where students can explore and maintain a healthy mind, body and spirit," states the wellness house proposal drafted by University students Corbin Martin, Jenny Murrill, Marc Olsen and Leonard Woody III.

The proposed site for the wellness house is within the Hereford Residential College. The house likely will begin as only one hall of Hereford and be expanded in coming years, said Jill Ingram, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team chairwoman. ADAPT student volunteers educate the University community on ways to prevent substance abuse.

Students would be selected to live in the residence after going through an application process consisting of written essays and possibly an interview. The selection process is designed "to solicit students who genuinely want to live in a healthy environment," according to the wellness house proposal.

In the health behavior survey administered by the University, 12 percent of students indicated they would choose to live in a wellness dorm, Ingram said.

University Senior Vice President William Harmon, who formerly served as vice president for student affairs, sees the Wellness House as a way of expanding housing options for upper-class students.

The wellness house would provide "a housing option to what I consider to be a growing population of students," Harmon said.

The new residence would focus on all types of wellness, while several other schools offer similar housing options focused on one type of wellness. For example, Duke University and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill both offer their own version of substance-free housing for their students. There are now 100 freshmen and 35 upper-class students living in substance-free housing at Duke, said Debbie Lobiondo, assistant dean of student development.

Fourth-year College student Tim Starr said he does not believe a wellness house is necessary.

"Students can practice a healthy lifestyle no matter where they are living," Starr said.

But third-year Commerce student David Mutryn said he is in favor of the wellness house.

"My sister was in [a substance-free house] at Franklin and Marshall College, and it was a great experience for her," Mutryn said.