Attacks prompt fear about holiday sales

Trick or treat, trick or treat, give me something good to eat. If you don't, I don't care, I'll pull out an anthrax scare...?

This year, post-terrorist sentiment is gripping one of America's most commercially successful holidays. Instead of the familiar witches, goblin, and grinning ghosts, an even spookier atmosphere has the nation draped under a blanket of fear and anxiety.

And many holiday retail dealers are bracing themselves for what could be the worst holiday season in years.

Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan warned Congress in his Oct. 17 address that the terrorist attacks pushed the economy into a slump by shaking consumer and business confidence. Consumer confidence has decreased 6.4 points for the month of September, the biggest drop in 10 years.

But so far local Halloween specialty stores aren't seeing much of a change in sales.

George Elder, manager of Party Starts Here, a party supply store in Seminole Square, said his sales aren't decreasing, though a last-minute holiday like Halloween makes predictions difficult.

"But one thing's for sure: There's not a day that goes by without a request for an [American] hero costume," he said. "We're all sold out of our police and fireman costumes."

Party Starts Here also offers other patriotic attire like Uncle Sam rentals and a new line of costumes called Heroes in History featuring great American leaders like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein.

Still, a series of widely circulated e-mails warning Americans of more terrorist attacks on Halloween threatens the holiday and raises alarm for many parents. More than terrorism, parents worry that people might use the national situation as an excuse for violence on Halloween. Others are worried about the possibility of more biological threats targeting the nation's innocent children.

Nicolette Washington, a 13-year old Gainesville resident, is not going trick-or-treating this year.

"I'm scared I might find that anthrax thing in my candy," Washington explained.

Elder doesn't think such precautions are necessary.

"My kids will definitely be trick-or-treating," he said. "We're just going to be more aware, staying around only neighborhoods we know well."

Many University students also are taking the panic in stride. Some insist they will still throw parties. Others are even trying to make light of a dangerous situation.

"I think students find it easier to handle these times by making jokes or just plain forgetting we're in a state of war," said second-year College student Anne Blanks.

Still, as the cold begins to set in, retailers already are looking towards Christmas, which reaps in even larger revenues. As the day after Thanksgiving approaches, shopkeepers brace themselves for the biggest shopping day of the year, known to many shopkeepers as Black Friday - a grim irony on the minds of many consumers.

And shopping malls already are feeling the effects of the prevailing uneasiness. The National Retail Traffic Index reports that retail traffic has declined from 881.6 million in 2000 to 821.3 million, a 6.8 percent drop for the month ending October 6, 2001. September retail sales have declined by 2.1 percent according to the U.S Department of Commerce.

Malls such as Tysons Corner Center in Vienna, Va. have attempted to boost sales by offering tighter security measures, such as checking all delivery vehicles and requiring identification and escorts for all outside service workers.

But many consumers are choosing a different route this year. Sales are increasing at private, specialty shops and discount stores while big department stores are witnessing declining profits.

"Our sales are up," said Judy Smith, store manager at Rose's specialty gift shop in Martinsville. "And look at WalMart. Their stocks are increasing by day."

Carolyn Fowley, an employee at Deck the Halls, a Christmas decoration shop in Seminole Square, agreed with the trend. "I don't think people mind spending, but they're more selective of what they spend it on," she said.

And like Halloween, the most popular items feature traditional symbols of the holiday linked to the patriotism sweeping America.

"Anything that has red, white and blue is selling. We're getting a new line of ornaments in just for that," Fowley said.

The American-made Cat's Meow Collection is in high demand at Deck the Halls, in particular the collectibles portraying the twin towers - made before the Sept. 11 attacks.

A rise in online shopping also has marked the effects of the attacks. Bizrate.com, a Web site comparing different online commodities, noted that online sales increased by 17 percent the week ending Oct. 8 from its report of sales ending the week of Sept. 10.

Concerns of airline safety and mall attacks have pushed many consumers to do their holiday shopping from the security of their home. In fact, the National Retail Foundation reports that total online sales have increased from $44.7 billion in 2000 to $62.4 billion in 2001. E-tailers like Amazon.com have responded to the flurry of sales by remodeling their Web sites to make shopping even more efficient.

But University students are taking a different perspective on how they will spend their cash this season.

Fourth-year College student Gavin Young said students don't seem as motivated to shop this year.

"It's times of great uncertainty like these that make people take a step back and look at the bigger picture," he said. "I for one know that the time spent with my family will be that much sweeter knowing how short life is"