IFC votes to limit house rentals

The Inter-Fraternity Council passed a resolution last night prohibiting non-Greek organizations from renting fraternity houses for social events.

"This has come up as a result of various problems we've had over the years as well as the realization that liability is to high of a priority to continue a loose policy," IFC President Josh Johnson said.

The resolution - which passed by a vote of 24 to 3 - limits house rentals to members of the Inter-Sorority Council, Black Fraternal Council and Multi-Cultural Greek Council. All outside organizations will be allowed to sign rental contracts until Friday.

The resolution goes into effect this weekend.

Members of Greek organizations still are allowed to rent fraternity houses because the Office of the Dean of Students of Fraternity and Sorority Life has agreed to serve as an intermediary for the rental process, Johnson said. Because no other organizations have an official intermediary, they will not be allowed to rent.

"It's a shame, but it's where you have to draw the line," Johnson said. Non-Greek organizations "have to understand that the liability issue is something we could no longer ignore."

Fraternities that do not comply with the new standards will receive one month's social probation for the first offense. Every subsequent offense will carry at least a $400 fine.

According to Johnson, the Dean of Students Office most likely will be responsible for enforcing the provisions of the resolution.

"We will help them to coordinate their efforts to promote responsible social events," said Aaron Laushway, assistant dean of students for fraternity and sorority life.

With the new policy there is some question as to the financial burden it may place on the fraternities. Some houses figure in rental profits into their yearly budget.

"The groups that rent out a substantial amount will be affected in the short term," Johnson said. "But in the long term, the decrease in liability will be worth it."

The resolution was proposed in light of recent incidents involving non-Greek organizations renting out fraternity houses for social events. The IFC specifically was concerned with an alleged assault which ocurred outside of the Sigma Nu fraternity house on Aug. 28.

The Black Caesar organization rented the Sigma Nu house for a social event. Following the party, a non-University student allegedly was assaulted. Gunshots also were fired.

The Sigma Nu incident "is really what started the ball rolling," Johnson said. "That's really what scared a lot of people."

But some fraternity presidents said they are unsure of the direction of the resolution and any long-term effects that may accompany it.

"It's really hard to say what the true effect is going to be," Pi Lambda Phi President Mike Duggan said. "We're not sure this is a long term solution, but for now it is a good idea."

Sigma Phi President Emre Peker said that while his house will not suffer financially from the resolution, he does not believe the decision was the right one to make.

"I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but I will stick by it because I am part of the [IFC] body," Peker said.