Sports in Brief

Cavaliers beat Duke, 2-1, in overtime

Virginia sophomore midfielder Erin Engelhardt lifted the Virginia women's soccer team to a 2-1 overtime win against Duke yesterday in the first round of the ACC tournament in Winston-Salem, N.C.

At halftime the scoreboard was empty, and it wasn't until the 51st minute that Duke put first the goal in the net. Sarah Pickens scored an unassisted goal, her fourth of the season, beating out Cavaliers' goalkeeper Jodi Clugston.

But 2001 ACC player of the year and Virginia co-captain Lori Lindsey answered Duke's goal 19 seconds later with one of her own. Lindsey took a pass from midfielder Laura Gaworecki and hit the upper left corner of the net for her ninth goal of the season. The goal tied Lindsey's career-high nine goals set last season.

The second half finished with the teams tied, 1-1. Virginia outshot Duke, 15-7, in the second half, but was unable to get anything in the back of the net.

But, four minutes into overtime, Engelhardt took an assist from Megan Leo and, on a break-away, hit the ball into the left side of the net to give the Cavaliers the victory. It was Engelhardt's third goal of the season and Leo's first assist of her career.

With the win, Virginia moves on to the second round of the tournament to take on Florida State, which defeated Maryland in the first round, today at 5:30 p.m.

-Lindsay Means