Brand-name Deals

Beneath the tented area temporarily in front of the University Bookstore, bargain-hunting students meander their way through racks of clothing in search of brand-name fashions at the cheapest prices.

The event is a biannual sale sponsored by the University Bookstore, allowing Forrest Haskins, owner of The Missing Button, to bring in trucks full of overstocked and discontinued items from stores like Gap, Old Navy, American Eagle and Abercrombie & Fitch.

"We're a traveling outlet," Haskins said. "We take the product to the student, going from university to university."

Not only does Haskins bring the product to the student, but by purchasing items directly from the manufacturer, he brings it at rates 40 to 80 percent below original retail prices.

Those prices won't be around for long - Haskins only will be in Charlottesville until Friday before leaving for yet another university. The Missing Button, which has been in operation for six years, primarily stays on the East Coast, but Haskins said the company does travel nationwide.

Many University students appreciate the convenience and discounts brought on Grounds by Haskins' company.

"As college students, we need things like this because we don't have much money," third-year College student Ulrick Casseus said. "Any kind of discount is good. Plus, it's name brand merchandise - Gap, Abercrombie - so it's not a bad deal."

Other students, however, don't believe that the University should be sponsoring the sale of brand-name merchandise on Grounds.

"I don't think it belongs on college campuses - big corporations trying to entice students by lowering prices and making their products more appealing," first-year College student Karen Zvarych said.

Despite the widerange of opinions held by University students, Haskins asserts the value of his company.

"It's all the brand names that you find in the stores - brands that students like," Haskins said. "But students can stay on campus and get a good deal."

The one-week event also marks an employment opportunity for students. Haskins is hiring students to unload boxes of merchandise at $8 per hour for the remainder of the week.

So whether you're in search of a good buy or a short-term job, The Missing Button's brand-name clothing sale has a deal for everyone.