City residents object to Ivy Road parking garage

To the distress of some Charlottesville residents, the University plans to build a 1,200 car parking garage behind the Cavalier Inn on Ivy Road.

Representatives of the Lewis Mountain Road Neighborhood Association voted unanimously to oppose construction on the planned parking garage Monday night. Residents cited concerns about increased traffic in and around their neighborhood, and the negative visual impact on the area.

The motion was passed at a meeting held at Alumni Hall between University officials and the neighborhood residents.

The University plans to build the parking deck in the wooded area between the Cavalier Inn and the University Forum apartment buildings. The lot is across Ivy Road from the Lewis Mountain Road neighborhood.

The garage would contain three times as many parking spots as the Central Grounds Parking Garage and would require the construction of two traffic lights - one on Ivy Road and one on Emmet Street.

Construction of the five-deck parking garage is slated to begin this summer and to be completed by 2003. The garage will provide replacement parking for students, faculty and staff who will lose their spots near University Hall during the construction of the new basketball arena. After the arena is built, most of the parking spaces probably will be used for students, and around 300 spots will be used by faculty and staff members.

Neighborhood residents said they initially were upset at news of the garage because the University had not consulted them during the planning process.

"We had no idea this thing had gone so far as it had," said Jonathan Einbinder, Lewis Mountain Road Neighborhood Association president.

University officials and residents met for the first time about the parking garage Monday, and Einbinder said most residents were surprised that construction would begin as soon as June, giving them very little time to work with the University to minimize impact on the neighborhood.

City Council member Meredith Richards said she had heard about the neighborhood's concerns.

"It is extremely important that any time the University has expansion plans, they work with the neighborhoods affected to minimize the impact," Richards said. "It's never a good idea to keep [neighborhoods] out of the loop."

Einlander said he was grateful to the University for organizing the meeting. At the meeting, residents, including two architects, suggested alternative sites for the garage, including the University's property on Fontaine Avenue.

Leonard W. Sandridge, executive vice president and chief operating officer, said the University plans to give full consideration to the appearance of the area as the site is developed.

"We welcome suggestions from the neighbors about how they believe we can improve the appearance of the site," Sandridge said.

He said the University has long-term plans to build dormitories or academic buildings between the garage and Ivy Rd.