Sports in Brief

Women's soccer team falls to North Carolina

The Virginia women's soccer team continued its record of futility against national power North Carolina, falling 2-1 at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Freshman midfielder Sarah Huffman gave the Cavaliers an early lead with her first collegiate goal, off an assist from senior midfielder Meredith Rhodes. At the half, the score remained 1-0 in favor of the Cavaliers.

Virginia held its lead for most of the second half until North Carolina junior forward Alyssa Ramsey tied the game off a rebound in the 81st minute. Sophomore forward Anne Morrell scored three minutes later to win the game for the Tar Heels.

North Carolina outshot Virginia 14-5 during the game, and Virginia junior goalkeeper Anne Abernethy had a season-high six saves. The Cavaliers have never defeated the Tar Heels in women's soccer.

Women's cross country takes seventh in

Pre-National meet

Freshman Kara Scanlin led the Cavaliers to an upset of two top-10 teams as the team took seventh place at the Pre-National Cross Country meet at Indiana State University in Terre Haute, Ind.

Scanlin paced the Cavaliers with a time of 21 minutes, 26 seconds, good for 31st overall. Teammate Jane Maxwell finished 10 seconds behind Scanlin, good for 42nd overall.

The women's team defeated No. 3 Michigan State and No. 8 Arizona State. The men's team finished 16th overall, led by sophomore Walton Kingsbery, who finished 65th overall with a time of 25:07.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton