Cavaliers face struggling Spartans on road

Hot off a solid performance in the 2002 Maui Invitational, the 22nd ranked Virginia men's basketball team (3-1, 0-0 ACC), returns to action Wednesday night against No. 21 Michigan State Spartans (2-3, 0-0 Big Ten) in the annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

The Cavaliers, who recently upset the then-No. 15 Kentucky Wildcats 75-61 in the Maui Invitational semifinals, before falling to Indiana, 70-63, are confident and prepared to challenge the Spartans.

Virginia Coach Pete Gillen was optimistic about the upcoming showdown against Michigan State.

"We are happy with the way we played in Maui, but we didn't have our legs in the end," Gillen said. "Michigan State is a tough team, and it is really tough to win up there so we will give it our best shot."

The Cavaliers are led by senior forward Travis Watson, averaging a solid 16 points per game while grabbing 11.5 rebounds. Transfer guard Todd Billet, who aims to be deadly from behind the three-point line, is averaging 12.5 points per game and 2.2 assists per game.Sophomore forward Elton Brown is averaging 11.5 points per game, and he proved to be a vital force in the second game of the season against Chaminade, dropping 22 points and grabbing six rebounds.

Virginia will have to be aggressive on defense if it hopes to contain Michigan State guard Chris Hill, who is averaging 17.5 points and 4.2 assists per game. Senior forward Adam Ballinger, who is averaging 10.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, will pose an inside threat to the Cavaliers.

With these elements, the Spartans, who were able to win only one out of three games at the Great Alaska Shootout (Nov. 28-30), could be a tough test for the Cavaliers.

This will be the third match in the series between Virginia and Michigan State, not including last year's matchup that was halted after halftime because of a slippery floor. The Spartans lead the series 2-0 and look forward to welcoming Virginia and attempt to take a 3-0 series lead.

The Annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge has teams from two of the premier conferences in the nation squaring off for national bragging rights. All nine ACC teams will take the court, as the ACC attempts to showcase its power to the rest of the nation. Virginia's match against Michigan State is the final game of the battle.

Although the games are early in the season, they will prove pivotal in March when the NCAA Tournament selection committee ranks the various conferences and decides which 64 teams will be invited to the play for the 2003 National Championship. The ACC can drastically increase its power rating by dominating in the Challenge, just as a win over Michigan State could be important for the Cavaliers.

Virginia will look for considerable scoring from Watson and Billet as it attempts to knock-off the Spartans.

The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville Dec. 17 to welcome East Tennessee State to University Hall.