Sports In Brief

Men's basketball falls to Indiana in Maui

After victories over Chaminade and No. 16 Kentucky put the No. 22 Virginia men's basketball team in the finals of the Maui Invitational in Lahaina, Hawaii, the Cavaliers fell to No. 19 Indiana, 70-63, in the tournament championship Nov. 27.

The Cavaliers and Hoosiers were tied at 44 with 11 minutes remaining, but Indiana then went on a 15-1 run to put the game away. The Cavaliers closed to within six points with three minutes remaining, but could come no closer.

Indiana freshman forward Bracey Wright led the Hoosiers with 21 points and earned tournament MVP honors.

Senior forward Travis Watson led the Cavaliers with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Sophomore forward Elton Brown added 12 points, freshman forward Derrick Byars scored 11 and junior center Nick Vander Laan added 10. Sophomore guard Keith Jenifer had six points and eight assists.

Women's basketball tops Long Island

The No. 23 Virginia women's basketball team defeated Long Island, 57-46, Saturday at University Hall to improve to 3-1 on the season and run its home winning streak to two games.

Sophomore guard Cherisse Graham, a transfer from Purdue, led the Cavaliers with 17 points, including three three-pointers. She also pulled down a career-high five rebounds and dished out a career-high four assists. Junior guard Anna Prillaman added 12 points.

Freshman guard Amber Wirth scored 16 points to lead the Blackbirds, and junior center Jessica Brookes added 12 points. The Cavaliers outrebounded Long Island 38-34 and held a 28-25 halftime advantage.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton