Cavaliers hope to exorcise Demon Deacons

With a loss Tuesday night against Virginia Tech that could only be described as embarrassing, the Virginia men's basketball team finds itself on the ropes as it prepares to take on Wake Forest tonight. The struggling Cavaliers are next to last in the ACC and face another "make or break" game against the red-hot Demon Deacons in University Hall at 7 p.m.

The Cavaliers are coming off an abysmal road trip in which they lost three games, two against conference foes, and Tuesday's defeat against the Hokies. Continuing a troublesome trend during the Pete Gillen era, Virginia has struggled on the road this season, going 2-6 away from U-Hall against Division I opponents.

Gillen hopes the comfy confines of U-Hall will help the team regroup quickly.

"We have just played too poorly on the road," Gillen said. "We need to stop turning the ball over and try to regroup. Our guys really need to dig down now."

Unfortunately, the Cavaliers will have to try and regroup against one of the hottest teams in the country. The 12-1 Demon Deacons are coming off consecutive home wins against Maryland and Georgia Tech, with their only loss this season coming against No. 3 Duke in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Leading Wake Forest is senior forward Josh Howard, one of the most talented players in the country and fifth in the ACC in scoring at 17.5 points per game. The key to a Virginia victory this evening will be keeping Howard in check, as Duke did in the Deacons' lone loss this season. Look for sophomore guard Devin Smith or freshman forward Derrick Byars to try and put the clamps on Howard early in the matchup.

Howard isn't the only player who presents problems for the Cavaliers, however, as the Deacon big men have been terrific down low this season. Sophomore Vytas Danelius and freshman Eric Williams have come up big for Wake Forest down low -- both rank in the Top 20 in scoring and Top 15 in rebounding among ACC players.

Virginia senior Travis Watson should be able to handle his own, as he leads the ACC in rebounds and double-doubles, but it is unclear who will help him in the paint. Both Elton Brown and Nick Vander Laan have struggled in the last few games.

Wake Forest also is strong at the point guard spot, as sophomore Taron Downey has been impressive running the Deacons' offense. Downey presented problems for the Cavaliers last season, but tonight he will face a much-improved Keith Jenifer. If the Cavaliers last game is any indication, Downey also will get his first look at junior Majestic Mapp, who played impressively in limited minutes at Virginia Tech.

"Turnovers have been a problem lately," Gillen said. "We can't have six and six [turnovers] from our two starting guards. We have to play with more composure and not become flustered."

While it is important that Virginia worries about the opposing players it will face this evening, the Cavaliers also need to examine their own execution on the court. Tuesday's loss in Blacksburg resulted from 23 turnovers against a sub-.500 ball club. Virginia's work under the boards was also porous, as Jenifer led the team in rebounds on the evening. A similar effort against Wake Forest would spell a loss and likely the end of NCAA tournament hopes for the reeling Cavaliers.

Junior guard Todd Billet says the Cavaliers must find that fire and passion that was present against North Carolina only a week and a half ago to halt their current losing streak at four games.

"This is only one game," Billet said. "We have to go and turn the page now. We can't go out and throw up red flags. We just have to start winning."